Engine Knock/rattle

M

Matt

Looks like my engine might be fooked :wall:
Was out in it last night and noticed a Knock/rattling sound. You cant hear it at idle but above around 2000rpm it starts and increases in frequency as the revs build up.
Ive not gone above about 3500rpm incase i make things worse but the noise got faster and a bit louder as the revs built :doh:
I got the car home last night and then started it this morning to make sure i wasnt imagining things and its definitly still there.

Anybody know what problem noises sound like?
Havin problems with my adobe flash player at the moment so cant watch any youtube videos to hear a dodgy big end or anything.

Jez Matt, not good.

The noise should be a claky kind of tap. You will hear it while it idles.
Just give it a little rev on the trottle while you are listening under the bonnet and you will hear it.

You might be lucky and not have done to much damage compared to some knocks

Hi Pete.
Yeah not good.
You hear it on start up when the engine is cranking and then if you rev it slightly with your head under the bonet.
But cant hear it at idle.
Not looking good, and even if not much damage im probably still looking at a massive labour bill to fix it :angry1:

Park it up and dont make the problem worse.

Give Ali B a bell I found him the best.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm,
Bigger power :whistle:

Yeah ill leave it be until i get a mechanic to look at it.
Problem is i dont have the money to fix it now and dont know when i will :doh:

Hi matt

I know when my mates big end went there was a horrific rattle and banging outta the engine.... but i think his decentigrated more than anything.......

Hope its nothing too major and its been caught in time not to do any lasting damage....

Neil

:pray:

jesus christ Matt when will you get a break from the problems. Hope its not a major problem and you can get it sorted soon and not a big cost either. :new_puppy_dog_eyes:

Cheers for the replys lads.
Yeah a pain in my B@ll@x at this stage. If i had the money it wouldnt bother me, id just get a new engine put in but it might have to gather dust indefinitly the way things are at the moment.

It might help to get it looked at... Get a diagnosis and then ring the likes of McKeevers and Traynors in the North.....
Im up that way fairly often and could get stuff from there if needed......

I know the suggestion isnt much use if u cant afford to buy the parts... but those 2 places are reasonable enough price wise

:smokin:

:thumbsup: Hammie

I think if its a case of a rebuild i might wait and get a forged short motor for peace of mind rather than a standard new sti engine.
Im just thinking the worst of the need of a new engine, labour costs then a remap to suit the new engine so big money in total

Firstly MATT reall sorry to hear this but secondly do NOT START THE CAR,

your only going to make whatever is wrong (prob BIG END) worse !!!!

Wait till your mecahnic gets to take a look !!!

Niall :sad: :sad: :sad:

@Niallyboy, i started it this morning after checking for loose things under the bonnet that could cause this noise. I found one of my HID ballasts was loose and prayed this was the rattle.
Started the car after securing the ballast and this confirmed the noise was from the engine :wall:

I know if it is the big end i can buy a new short motor.
Does anybody know the approximate fitting costs of a short motor?

Or if i was to get my engine stripped and bearings replaced, providind no other damage done would this still cost huge money on labour?

Sorted adobe flash player problem and got up a few videos on youtube and my engine noise sounds like them although maybe not quite as bad.

To be honest off hand i can't but if i was you i would start by ringing
all the traders here (or your preffered choice) and see who will give the best quote !!

Im sure someone is willing to drop their price by a few €€€€€€€'s to get the business,
seems to be the norm everywhere now .

Niall.

Ok cheers Niall
Ill make a few phone calls on monday.
But to be honest im strapped for cash and the banks dont like givin out money anymore :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that Matt :icon_sad:

When my engine was on the way out it was making a knocking noise on idle and when you rev up it gets louder, it was the big ends that were gone

How's things Mark?

Yeah i think mine is definitly gone.
What did it end up costing you to rebuild the route you took?
Cheers :thumbsup:

[quote author=Matt link=topic=16375.msg201210#msg201210 date=1247321394]
How's things Mark?

Yeah i think mine is definitly gone.
What did it end up costing you to rebuild the route you took?
Cheers :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I hope you get it sorted soon, Hopefully its not the engine :pray:

Back