Driving a Turbo.

johnjoe64

Petrolheads
Driving a Turbo.

Hi Everybody at the risk of sounding stupid I have a question what is the best way to drive my Legacy Turbo so I get the best out of it and dont harm the engine I have being nervous since blowing the engine last year and the car is mapped but I still have a fear of doing damage when I put down the boot I may have being driving the car wrong all along and the engine blow was my own fault if you catch my drift so I need your advice as I do love my car in the right way of course :multijump: Many Thanks John L. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Driving a Turbo.

No donuts and make sure your oil is changed regularly :icon_grin:

Avoid the redline..you have a dyno graph don't you? look at where peak power drops of and shift at this point and not any further..you have low down torque use it...make sure your engine is warm before engaging high boost....get a set of gauges, oil pressure, boost and oil temperature these will let you know when you have an issue and you can ease off.

Dont hit the redline, and drive it off boost until it reaches the right oil temp/ oil pressure thats what i do anway, then drive her on :thumbsup: :subaru:

as above. Keep her between peak torque and peak bhp for good pulling power. And most important,keep her tween the ditches

you should feel it through the seat of your pants when the car is pulling right. but the typical figures are around 3000rpm peak torque and 6000rpm peak bhp. Of course this will vary from model to model and even car to car depending on its state of tune,engine wear and service record.for an exact reading of power you will need a rolling road run. Plenty traders here will point you in right direction.

[quote author=gonzogicker link=topic=16368.msg201163#msg201163 date=1247301780]
you should feel it through the seat of your pants when the car is pulling right. but the typical figures are around 3000rpm peak torque and 6000rpm peak bhp. Of course this will vary from model to model and even car to car depending on its state of tune,engine wear and service record.for an exact reading of power you will need a rolling road run. Plenty traders here will point you in right direction.
[/quote]

This will only guide you inn the direction as has at least +/- 5% margin of error..

For example ....... A 350 Bhp result on a rolling road. With a +/- 5% margin of error this is 333bhp or 367.5bhp.

This is a massive difference..

Not sure lads quite know the massive possible difference.

A 1/4 mile from a cars A to B is our way of determing a true quick car..

DAVE

factory spec for peak torque on these legacys is @ 2600rpm . i find it pulls best in 2nd and 3rd gear and no need to go over 6000rpm

[quote author=Altezza-Dan link=topic=16368.msg201358#msg201358 date=1247364360]
factory spec for peak torque on these legacys is @ 2600rpm . i find it pulls best in 2nd and 3rd gear and no need to go over 6000rpm
[/quote]

Correct! I didn't want to be too exact. :icon_biggrin:
@ Davelegacy.Cheers for that :thumbsup:Would that mean the dyno would lie by +/- 5% 'where' in the rev range the engine is making peak torque and power or just the 'amount' of torque and power :ponder:

The rev range peak or torque comes under the +/-5% yes as this would be within complete test

If she is mapped and you change the oil more than regularly, and warm her and cool her gently!
Then dont worry about her!
Shift up just before the redine or were ever you like!
Enjoy your car man,
Dan

Well drive her on then and don't be worrying!
Have fun!
Dan

Back