I need help please lads! Who has a twin plate clutch??

F

forester sti

My forester is in getting some more bits and a new clutch, the Exedy organic was only barely hanging in there!
So next step is Twin plate,
The organic was a bit heavy for Anna anyway
So I would very much appreciate if anyoe with a twin plate clutch would let my wife have a brief test drive to gauge her pinion of the clutch.
Don't worry, she is used to driving her 450lb/ft forester,
I'm hearing lots of different opinions about which clutch is the lightest,
Thanx very much lads!
Dan

comparing stock altezza clutch to twin plate exedy was horrible, guys in CDA could barely get it up on the dyno, stalled it about 3-4 times!! maybe different in the subaru's

Hi Dan,

I have a twin plated carbonetic clutch and Ill be up around Dunboyne on Sat mid-day if you want to have a feel of it....! It is pretty heavy but. Brother, sisters, Girl friend, Father, mother wont drive the car because of it.

Rgds

Paddy

Jaysus,
That's a fair few lads dogging the Exedy,
@Paddy scooby, I would very much appreciate a quick shot of your car, Is she 5 or 6 speed??
Give me a ring if you can
Thanks
Dan

Please keep the opinions coming!
@ Anton,
What type of clutch is in your car do you know??
Dan

My mate has one in his 180SX and it is grand once you get used to it. I can even take off slowly in it now lol, just takes a lil time to get used to it...

Good man Al,
How do you think it would compare to a standard clutch/ flywheel setup??
ie. do you have to rev her much to pull away smoothly and is the pedal similar weight to standard?
Thanks again!
Dan

I've been chatting to a few lads, (some of the above) and the general impressions I'm getting so far are
The Carbonetic twin plate is great for harder use, very grippy when hot! But slips when cold and judders a good bit in heavy traffic situations,
The Exedy twin plate (not the hyper) is quite hard to drive, they are supposed to be easy to damage during install and that could account for some of the problems, and even the advertising from exedy discribe the clutch as "reasonably streetable"
The HKS GD max (not PRO) as far as I can tell is supposed to be quite easy to use, soft pedel and closest to standard feel so far, they are a bit pricier, I might be able to get a quick spin to see!
As far as I know, all twin plate clutches make a metalic rubbing noise when the clutch pedal is down,

Keep the info coming please lads! and thanx
Dan

the exedy twin was the most comfortable one that i tried, but it is a noisey bugger and defo not for wife and kids driving imo. But i thought the feal of it was great.

Is it just the noise that would put you off? and is the noise only when the clutch is fully down with no load?
How would you compare it to a standard clutch/flywheel setup, ie, do you need more revs to pull away? does she judder? how light is the pedal!
Thanks Damo, I appreciate your input :thumbsup:
Dan

i have an ap. but it's on the floor, so you can't feel it. it was only slightly heavier than a standard clutch. it had organic discs, so doesn't bite too harsh either. the noise is too bad for a road car in my opinion. your wellcome to take it and test fit it too feel it if you want

Thanks for that Ciaran,

So AP organice twin plate has soft enough pedal, jut abit harder the standard and is progressive, But very noisey!
The Carbonetic twin plate is great for harder use, very grippy when hot! But slips when cold and judders a good bit in heavy traffic situations, (like all Carbon clutches seemingly)
The Exedy twin plate (not the hyper) is quite hard to drive, they are supposed to be easy to damage during install and that could account for some of the problems, and even the advertising from exedy discribe the clutch as "reasonably streetable"
The HKS GD max (not PRO) as far as I can tell is supposed to be quite easy to use, soft pedel and closest to standard feel so far, they are a bit pricier, I might be able to get a quick spin to see!
As far as I know, all twin plate clutches make a metalic rubbing noise when the clutch pedal is down,
Dan

Please feel free to contradict any of the above, I would like for anyone in future to be able to search for "best twin plate" and find this thread easy to read.
I have been searching scoobynet for ages now, I have started a few thread asking advise on clutches, and Feck all people have offered opinions,
It's a very hard subject to research!
Dan

I have an Exedy twin plate clutch in mine. I find it grand now, but I must admit that there is a huge difference between the single plate ones.
Also it needs to warm up before it softens out abit. I also try not to be driving it around town where I will be stopping and starting.

Oh Oh
Where are you??
Could I please have a gentle spin??
Dan

Carbonetics will give you the best of both worlds. The choice of pressure plate is the key.

Easy when you're taking off and grips hard once it heats up. Carbon friction material is quite different from the normal ceramic type material of the other type clutches.

Carbonetics twin plates with 1100kg pressure plate are rated for 650 hp. 1300 kg pressure plates up to 800 HP. Anything more requires a triple plate.

Thanks very much Nick!
I would be very interested to have a quick shot of a car with the carbonetics clutch,
If you can think of anyone that has one,Preferably a scooby, would you please pass on my number, 0876602141
Thanks Nick
Dan

Back