Single pots on STI

Scooby Stew

Petrolheads
My mates 99 sti has 4 pot sti calipers up front but single pots on the back :ponder2:. Does anyone know are some like this or has it been changed for some strange reason? Also it has no roller diff and wondered would it be a big job to upgrade?

Only the type r's & type ra's came with 2 pot rear calipers & dccd.

If shes a standard sti saloon then everything is fine :thumbsup:

As above,
All is fine!
If he wants to pick up a set of rear 2 pots off a type r/ra, that would be a good upgrade
Don't about the DCCD, it's a gimmick, a nice gimmick, but still just that!
Just whiteline springs and 22mm rear antiroll bar, is just perfect!
Dan

[quote author=Scooby Stew link=topic=16279.msg200158#msg200158 date=1246998230]
Thanks for that lads. :thumbsup: Any idea where to get the antiroll bar Dan?
[/quote]

sti tuning is a whiteline dealer!!!

Bought my whiteline gear from Jomo, also a site trader on here.

You're gonna need someone that can do a geometry setup after fitting anti roll bar & droplinks & he's the man for the job. Hard to get hold of from time to time but deffo worth the wait :thumbsup:

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=16279.msg199960#msg199960 date=1246921897]
As above,
All is fine!
If he wants to pick up a set of rear 2 pots off a type r/ra, that would be a good upgrade
Don't about the DCCD, it's a gimmick, a nice gimmick, but still just that!
Just whiteline springs and 22mm rear antiroll bar, is just perfect!
Dan
[/quote]

dan ,why would subaru spend millions on dccd on cars if its a gimmick?

Why did Prodrive pull DCCD out when making the P1??
Dan

No no,
It's a good debate to have,
Beside, duffman knows I'm just jelous I dont have DCCD,
But seriously, I drove a 400hp type r around mondello, and the best setting I found was full AWD, fastest and still arse out enough!
As I said, It would still be nice to have the option,
I just wouldn't beat myself over not havng it!
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=16279.msg200219#msg200219 date=1247004836]
Why did Prodrive pull DCCD out when making the P1??
Dan
[/quote]

At that stage they hadn't figured out how to operate a dccd along with abs, hence why all classics with dccd didn't have abs standard. Safety standards in the UK dictated that abs should be fitted I would imagine.

I wouldn't say it's a gimmick as it dose work !!
and you can easily feel and notice the difference

but for me i always drive her with the diff open (two thirds power to the rear :icon_grin:)

For me the only advantage of locking up the diff was it keeps her nice and straight , handy in the wet (......i suppose)
but your back dealing the dreaded under steer , so why bother , stick the ass out and away you go :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

Well there is one plus for locking the diff; BRAKING . If your flat out and say you need to stop ASAP with the diff open , well you
haven't a prayer of stopping in a straight line, or quickly enough but if the diff is locked no matter what speed just steep on the pedal
hold the wheel and she will brake through and straight ....................not that you'd have time to change the diff anyway :lol: :lol:

Dan what advantage did you gain around the track ? by having diff locked and what about all that under steer when diff is locked ?

Niall.

The right tyre choice makes a big differance too though. I had cheap rubber on my car for a while and couldn't keep the car on the road. Understeer was brutal. Decent rubber now and easier to push the tail out :icon_biggrin:

I found that with the DCCD to the rear, the car was only tail happy at lower speeds!
Other wise I found that she would not turn in well, and found she'd push the front wide under power at mid to high speed!
Exiting a second gear corner with a big boot load of throttle would be arse out, full opposite lock drift style, which is fun but slow!

The further forward the DCCD the more the front end would pull into the corners and pull around the corners,
The under power it just puts the power down and you go around the corner,
Exiting the same second gear corner with the same booted throttle gets all wheels spinning, just a little bit of opposite lock (RCM Style) and you are in third gear in no time!
So faster every way!

This is on a dry track with standard road car geometry, an agressive camber and geometry setup would transform the handling, then maybe a happy medium on the DCCD would be suitable!

The DCCD would be a nice option to have, I was always looking out for ways to fit DCCD to my forester, It was really wrecking my head thinking I was missing out on something very important, But after using it on track, I'm not bothered at all about having the DCCD now!
Dan

thats mad dan,every thing ive read on the dccd said you get more under steering on track with the diff up or locked.

and i found the oppisite to you when i was on track in that i got more understeer with the diff up abit or lock.

philip (pbsti) that ran his type r in the time attack last year also ran his diff on open lock.

imo more power to the rear on track is the way to go and thats why they say rear wheel drive cars are the best for track racing

the whole point to subaru putting dccd into type r's and type ra's was that if people wanted to enter there cars into race/rally events they could change around the setting to suit the conditions.

if it was a gimmick or a waist of money subaru would'nt have bothered to put it into the newage cars

Don't be taking it personally man!
I feckin love type r's,
Philip's car was running nearly 5 degrees negative camber on the front wheels so not really relavent!
I dont undestand how your car acted so diferent to mick's type r,
I never drove her with the diff all the way to the front, Maybe 2 or 3 clicks back front the front!
Other than that, she has a few more horsies,
Could be my "a bit over the edge driving style"?
I did try the mostly RWD setting! I thought it would be perfect, but it just didn't work out,
Dan

i'm not taking anything personal dan, its just a debate, maybe i should use more smileys in my posts.

i agree with you on that stews mate shouldnt bother trying to put dccd into his car anless he like going sideways alot

but i do think the dccd can come in handy some times

Back