2001 wrx gearbox upgrade !!!!!

wagon dec

Member Number 257
hi lads i am thinkin of changing the box and diff in my car want to go for 4.1 ratio out of an sti just wonderin have they got an lsd box would be out of a v3 sti any help would be appreciated thanks

If you are thinking of upgrading, then you'd be best to go for a 6 speed conversion. Get the box, R160 diff to match and prop shaft and you're away.

You have an R160 diff in your car afaik so if you wanted to upgrade to an R180 plated diff from an sti, then you will need the whole rear beam and everything that is attached to it to bolt onto your car, i.e. diff, shafts hubs, brakes etc.

I see your point alright, much more hassle throwing in the 6 speed so put it like this..

Option 1 - 5 speed from a classic Sti and R160 rear diff to match (No messing, straight in)
Option 2 - 6 speed from newage Sti and R160 to match and also the sti prop shaft from a newage model (prop is £100 in breakers up north), gear linkage, clutch, flywheel and starter also required.
Option 3 - Basically option 2 and everything on the rear beam

Lots of Classic Sti boxes around with the amount of people doing 6 speed conversions, would be a good option if your box was knackered but i wouldnt bother otherwise. WRXIan is running over 300BHP and unless I'm mistaken, he still has a newage WRX gearbox in his. If the upgrade is intended to handle bigger power then, I think the classic 5 speeds can handle around 400, hopefully someone can clarify and say for definite. The 6 speed is practically bulletproof and have been proven to handle up around 500BHP. What type of power do you intend to run eventually?

im not changin for it to handle power just find the ratios a bit long also would better diff as in lsd diffs in stead of standard diffs my car will never be over 300bhp dont see the point a good 300 brake car is hard to catch when driven right .imo.

You thinking along the lines of a type-r box then? And buy the diff controller seperate then? That would be nice!!

would love the diff control but have to say drove a mates type r to dublin one day and it gets annoyin the low ratios nearly too low for road use

[quote author=wagon dec link=topic=16208.msg199308#msg199308 date=1246625885]
im not changin for it to handle power just find the ratios a bit long also would better diff as in lsd diffs in stead of standard diffs my car will never be over 300bhp dont see the point a good 300 brake car is hard to catch when driven right .imo.
[/quote]

The long ratio you have will make you cover ground better then the next on say a quarter mile..
So find hard to see this as your next upgrade?

As above maybe give WRX Ian a call and he'll take you out in his. Its not a slow car for covering ground i tell ye that.

And with a 01 wagon myself as project maybe give me a call.

DAVE

sound dave, is your wagon still on standard box and diffs or what is done to it ...........

box and diffs out and are being replaced for sti 6 speed set up buts thats just for taking power upgrades in future etc. So doing it now.

The above would not be a upgrade for you and would spend funds and time in other areas..

WRX Ian would be the man to meet up with and see if thats the power area wise you'd like to be in on standard engine/clutch/gearbox..

DAVE

Back