Is a 01 Legacy B4 engine same as a 99 Legacy B4 engine?

TommyM

Petrolheads
I have a 99 Legacy B4 which is in need of a new engine ,the owner of the Legacy has sourced an engine from a 2001 Legacy B4 ,as far as i am aware they are the same. i just said id post it up here incase there is any differences in them or anything i should know before fitting the 2001 engine to the 99 Legacy. any differences in them??

thanks.

01 is the year they changed to the rev d BE5 legacy-its a stronger engine than the previous one-shouldnt have any problems fitting it. Id sooner go for a full rebuild though. My car is 01 but its a rev c-think they changed about august :dontknow:

Sure keep an eye on this thread,
One of the true nerds ( I mean that afectionatly) will be along shortly to quote compression ratios and stuff to you!
I think the older leggy had higher compression ratios and they lowered it for safety in the later cars! Could be way off though,
Dan

thanks lads il keep an eye on this thread .......i recommended to him to get one of the traders on here to do an engine build but his budget wont allow it ,he found this engine for €1200 without turbos which sounds ok.

[quote author=TommyM link=topic=16174.msg198826#msg198826 date=1246452650]
thanks lads il keep an eye on this thread .......i recommended to him to get one of the traders on here to do an engine build but his budget wont allow it ,he found this engine for €1200 without turbos which sounds ok.
[/quote]

Are the turbo's ok though Tommy?? No oil or anything in them?

Is €1200 really a good price?? for an 8 year old engine! I sold my 25K mile 2.5 out of the 06 forester for €1200
You can get brand new STI bottom ends for around €2K
Surely a WRX bottom end would do for the leggy and probably cheaper again!
Dan

@ Mark : they do appear to be good ,no oil and no play in them.

@ Forester STI : i taught it was a good price but doesnt sound that way compaired to your 2006 motor for 1200euro :ponder: ,his biggest prob was finding a 2nd hand engine and he cant spend any more than that because he is out of work at the moment. i agree the new motor would be the way to go.

e1100-1200 is the normal average price for a long non sti engine....

so my advice is go with that.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back