Fit a clock spring to a B4(Cause of airbag light on and horn not working)

B4 soon

Petrolheads
For the first time in over a year-my airbag light is off. The fault is whats known as the "clock spring". Its basically the circular piece of plastic with a loosely bound tape wire inside that sits behind the steering wheel. The tape wire tightens up with the turning of the steering wheel and frequently over time breaks,causing a constant airbag light and the horn to stop working. New part is over 500+vat from subaru-i was lucky enough to get one free from a breakers. First thing i did was disconnect the battery and leave it for half a day-30mins would have been enough but better safe than sorry. Next i loosened the two star key bolts that hold the airbag unit to the steering wheel-one on each side. This allowed me to draw forward the airbag unit and unplug the airbag(yellow) and horn(white) connectors. Then just the one nut on the wheel itself and that comes off no problems. The bottom steering column cowling is next-one philips head screw from underneath. Then the top cowling-two philips head screws-again from underneath-bit hard to find but theyre easy to remove. Now the clockspring can be unscrewed. Next i removed the bottom plastic panel under the steering column-drivers door must be open for this to access the two plastic screws on the side of the panel. Only other screw is to the bottom left of that panel.Be gentle when removing it as the clips that pull out at the top are fragile. With this panel off I could disconnect the airbag and horn connecters under the dash,then remove the wires up into the steering column from a couple of plastic clips that hold them in place. Now the old clock spring unit can be removed completely. Instructions regarding the rotational position of the new part are written on the part itself. To fit it-simply reverse above procedure.

Back