loss of boost

richardhall2

Sunday Drivers
can anyone shed some light on what is going on with my car.
the problem started today with the boost on my car. it normaly boosts up to 10 on the gauge on full boost but today when the car was hot it was only boosting to just gone 5 and would'nt raise any more. i did fit a exhaust a week ago from a crashed wrx decat and back box would this have effected the boost.
when car is slightly warm she will boost to 10 and i have checked for leaks from pipes and all is good.
i do have an induction kit but it is shielded from the heat from the turbo :ponder:

can anyone help :cheers:

So what was wrong in the end, just in case anyone else has a similar problem? As for lack of responses, I think you might have just picked a bad time to ask for help (Paddy's Weekend) :dunno:

[quote author=richieWRX link=topic=1823.msg16018#msg16018 date=1174408227]
All sorted.
thanx for the info.... :angry:
[/quote]

As Paulo said Richie - Most people don't sit on this site all day and even less do on a bank holiday weekend.....
Plus one thing you'll notice about this site is that people generally don't reply if they don't know the answer (not like other sites where people will say 'I have no idea')... I'm sure someone would have pointed you in the right direction soon.....

What caused it in the end?

Alan.

Ya I read this post like many others did i'd say but as I drive a 1.6 I wouldnt have a clue  :ponder: so didnt reply. If someone knew the answer they would of replied  :thumbsup:

got a friend who is doing up his skyline and he took alook for me he siad that it could be either 1 or 2 things either heat soak which i have no idea about :ponder:   somthing to do with the induction kit.
or the other was the dumpvalve stuck. but ever since then its been ok but i have only been going local.  (pun not)
sorry about going :angry: back there the car was getting right on ma tits. if you know what i mean :thumbsup:

richie

got to be induction kit because of the heat from the engine and leaving it tickover for long periods off time.
i love the sound out of it but has to go.
can't see it being the dumpvalve because thats 5 months old :dunno:

Can't really see it being the induction kit either :ponder:

Has it happened since? Usually it's a sign of the ECU going into safe mode but it would stay that way until you re-set the ECU....

Alan.

as Alan said. ECU going into safety mode but once left switched off for a while will go back to normal until it goes into safety again for whatever reason.

George

cheers for the help but since that time it hasnt happened. would it be safer to take it to the main dealer just to give a check.
richie

Sounds like the temperature sensor could be failing/failed. A friend of mine had a similar problem when he fitted a full decat system on a new shape WRX. Car went into safe mode ie low boost. It turned out the temp sensor was burnt out from the increased heat from running higher boost on a decat system.

The only other thing that I can think of is maybe the engine has detected knock and is retarding the the boost in response which again is safety mode. I think a full engine diagnostic is required. It's 50 yo yo at a main Subaru dealer.

Hope that helps.

Frawls

hi lads went thier tuesday got it hooked up when i went to pick it up they said that they couldnt find any thing wrong :ponder:
at least she's still ok thats the main thing :dance:
richie

I get the same problem if the car has been ticking over in 1 spot for a while(about 10 mins)....as soon as I am back on the road doing normal speed for a  minute boost goes back to normal...presumed its heat soak with the top mount "inter-warmer" :D

hi lads i took the car to the main dealer on friday 13th to collect the airbox to replace the induction kit :cry:
cost uz 495euro including 1 bushing for the rear diff hanger.
after i fitted the airbox i then took the car for a spin and again only half boost; this time it didnt get better when before it did. :dunno:
so took the car back to the main dealer he then pluged her in and everything checked out ok :ponder:  so i told him to drive the car to see what i ment.
he came back saying the mafm was faulty and it cost uz 109euro and now she is better than when i first got her. :headbanger:
but as yu all know sh*t happens 3 times, after all that hastle i then drove the car about a meter and heard these two loud cracks so stopped up and took a look found the anti rollbar link on the front
had snaped :angry: but managed to get one from the local motor factors :cheers:

richie

Back