How much can ya get away wit

Prinz

Petrolheads
Just wonderin what mods can I make before gettin a remap?

- Walbro pump
- K&N drop-in (what affect does this oily sh1t have on the sensor)
- 3 port solenoid (set up as a 2 port for the time being)
- which decat pieces are OK
- etc.

This stuff may have been answered over a number of threads but I'm a lazy buzzcock :icon_grin:

Cheers, P.

dont think the walbro will be advantageous until a remap is done...
as with the 3 port boost solenoid and decats!!!
as dan said the k+n drop in is ok

best do all above just few days before your remap!!!!

Drop in filter

The rest will need a remap to get full advantage.

Yeah, but the point is can I make the mods and not run into any trouble.

Then when I have the remap I can enjoy all the additional fun :beerbang:

Cheers, P.

I have 2nd decat and a drop in filter without a remap, if you replace 1st cat it will throw the engine light on but i think it can be wired so it doesnt. Having said that i dont think replacing 1st cat without a remap is a very clever thing too do :thumbsup:

Seriously man,
Just leave her alone, and then get all of the above in the few days leading up to the remap!
It's just not worth taking the chance!
Dan

Hi Folks I have my car re mapped already is it ok now to drop in a k&n filter it wont do any harm will it and will i get a good result from it cheers.

You won't notice anything different John!
It will help get abit more air into the engine but your ecu hasn't been told(mapped) to add the fuel to match,
Hence, possibly running lean, possibly melting piston,
Now there is a very small chance of, that, but why bother??
I'd just wait till you can get a few bits done and get her tweek mapped to suit!
Dan

Just wanted to pickup on this again :icon_grin:

• [li]If I fitted the Walbro pump what diff would it make as its still going to deliver the necessary fuel
    A K&N drop-in is going to continue to allow air thru
    If a 3 port solenoid was set up as a 2 port for the time being what harm would that do
    According to my mechanic a down pipe from the turbo would take load off the turbo and the newage models still have a small puss in place anyway[/li]
    [li][/li]

I got my cabling the other day and have successfully read both my STI and my wife's WRX.

With some (not necessarily all) of the mods mentioned surely its reasonable to do an ECU reset and then force some fast learning to get going. Yeah it won't be tuned to perfection but I then plan to get it mapped.

Any thoughts, P.

If you do it all coming up to map just keep it of boost and you should be ok. :thumbsup:

I fitted a de cat from turbo, vf28 turbo, injectors, fuel pressure reg, powertec indution kit, front mount and a walbro fuel pump and kept it of boost and it was grand. :dontknow:

If you cant keep your foot of the floor then dont change it until a few days before map. :icon_grin:

At last a bit of quality input.

BTW I reckon I'd include a set of platinum plugs as well.

How long does the mapping take and what changes are made ???

P.

Yes best to include a set of platinum plugs.
Mapping time varies from car to car. Between 45min and an hour in my experience.
Ignition timing and fuel pressure are altered as far as i know. Not sure exactly what goes on but it works thats for sure.
Completly transforms your car.
Best to put a decat or sports cat on before the map too.

Wow dats a lot of money for an hours work even by my standards :tongue:

I need to find out more caus I'm very interested in having my car run well.

Ultimately I want a performance machine returning 30 mpg.

Cheer, P.

30 mpg is a bit optimistic my freind!
25 mpg maybe, with a gentle foot!
I know you have and background in software, but I would be very carefully with adjusting your map,
Being able to read the map and understanding it are vastly different, especially under load,
Your first mappig session is expensive because you have to buy the Ecutek licence, once you have it, it's yours!
Alot of lads bolt loads of bits on to there cars and have no bother,
But alot of lads melt pistons and have other forms of engine failure,
It's up to yourself man,
My opinion is, save up and then fit all of the above mods, then get her mapped sortly there after, and you'll be safe and flying!!!
Dan

Ya see that's where I have the problem - I don't mind paying a license fee - but then your ECU is locked and cannot be read using anything else.

If you've paid for the mapping then surely you should be able to see what changes were made to your engine management.

If you look broader a field you'll see that quite a lot of people want to be able to read and tune their own car.

To be honest I'm still not getting any real comments on the simple mods that I wanna make.

Why does this whole mod thing have to be shrouded in such fear :ponder2:

Cheers, P.

[quote author=Prinz link=topic=16097.msg198041#msg198041 date=1246217177]
Just wonderin what mods can I make before gettin a remap?

- Walbro pump
- K&N drop-in (what affect does this oily sh1t have on the sensor)
- 3 port solenoid (set up as a 2 port for the time being)
- which decat pieces are OK
- etc.

This stuff may have been answered over a number of threads but I'm a lazy buzzcock :icon_grin:

Cheers, P.
[/quote]

Ok to fit these but keep it off boost untill you get it mapped.

The reason the whole mapping thing is treated like a dark art is because there has been so many casualties because of DIY mappers and we're just advising you to leave it alone and let professional people do it for you.
I know I like to know how things work also but sometimes your better off just accepting the fact that it is a dark art.

Best of luck with it anyway.

Rgds

Paddy

Back