induction kits???

R

rob cork

hi lads

i heard that fitting an induction kit to a turbo scooby isn't the best idea. can anyone tell me why this is or is it just bull. cheers :ponder:

I think the cone filters can mess up the MAF sensor. Panel filters are a safer option :thumbsup: Im not a turbo man (yet) so the other lads on hear will know better :thumbsup:

Best to stick with a green filter a dry one, also they can vibriate witch can fook up your maf.
I got a hks dry filter car seems to pull harder you cant go wrong with hks. :thumbsup:
Other people will tell you induction kits are a must. Hade a blitz on my last car cost a bomb
but did fook all to the car.

When you put an induction kit on the the car the maf sees a larger flow of air across it and most of the time cant compensate and runs lean. On some kits Ive seen the airflow meter is mounted in a new larger diameter pipe which will make it misread aswell. Ive ben told there have been errors in fueling up to 30%. The load seen by the MAF sensor is reduced so the ecu runs more timing and less fuel.

if your going to fit one then Id only use a couple brands like the Roger Clarke one or APS and both would need a remap IMO though. By fitting the kit it doesent always mean more power unless you have other mods so a panel filter is a better option UNTILL you get to a the right level then certain ind kits will be give good gains. The standard airbox runs easily above 300bhp with ease and VERY unlikly to be a restriction if your still on the standard turbo unless the turbo is capable of a decent output of course.

Damo

Hello Rob,

As Damo said, fitting an induction kit alters the air flow in your car. This ecu needs to be recalibrated to this new air flow. If it does not get recalibrated you can actually suffer a loss of power.

I fitted a roger clake induction kit, along with a new turbo back exhaust system (supplied by Damo). Once fitted I had it remapped by Andy Forrest. You will only see improvements following the remap.

The roger clarke induction system does make some very strange sounds  :thumbsup:

Sort of like a dump valve in reverse  :lol:

Cheers,

Michael

I fitted a RCM induction kit + a Full turbo back exhaust to my STI along with a remap, the difference is unbelivable! :headbanger:

I've heard that the RCM setup is preferred over the APS setup on the newage, due to the filter being mounted in the wing and the diameter + bend of the cast pipe? :ponder:

Now all I need is a new clutch to take the extra torque!! :subaru:

I have an A'PEXi induction kit, it sounds fantastic, squeeze the accelerator and hear the engine inhaling all that air, then the dump valve exhales when you lift off the gas. Sounds like an athlete running with asthma :D kinda sexy in its own way. As for performance comparison with/without - I can't tell you as it was already set up when I bought the WRX.

I normaly use the Roger Clarke ones but keep the APS ones aswell. APS one is brilliant as it sits in the wing but the mapper needs to rescale the MAF. Same if you use the 100mm Roger Clarke one so thats the only issue with them. Infact im fairly sure Andy F has the APS one on his newage Spec C and swears by them.

Sometimes you can have to large an intake or combined with a larger turbo inlet hose the likes of the 20g can surge if you want to run any more then 1.4bar boost.

What kind of issues apply when fitting an induction kit to a non-turbo engine?

[quote author=johng link=topic=1818.msg15994#msg15994 date=1174348681]
[/quote]

I put a Pipercross Induction Kit on my n/a Scoob. Very easy to do - I managed to do it myself within an hour. You got a bit of extra pull when accelerating and you'd find yourself doing 70mph with about the same effort that it used to take to get to 60mph. That's how I remember it anyway. The only downside was that it sounded like a huge Dyson sucking under your bonnet... constantly... which for me became annoying.

Better off leaving along. Causing me nothing but problems.Have a stage 1 racing intake system that am going to throw in at some stage.

:smokin:

I have some E-Mails from Graham goode racing and Pipercross assuring me their product WILL NOT damage the engine or maf and that the MAF does not need recalibrating, my buddy is running a pipercross for about 10,000 miles without issue. I have one for sale if interested.

Back