Autostart causing Altenator problem?

Dagnut

Octane Boostaholics
MY altenator went again this morning after only having it wound last year and probbaly only 5000 km ago..lad here in working is saying when he worked for BMW warranty dept the mechanics where saying autostarts w@nk your altenator and it would void the warranty..has anyone ever heard of this?

Haven't heard anything bout Autostart... Where are you based fella... I know a lad who'll recon your alternator. I've used him a lot and hes' brilliant and a recognised Bosch repair guy!

No idea... but ring this fella... He's based in Kilmacanogue, near North Bray.

Tell him what's been done already and he'll advice you if it's fixable now or knackered due to the work previously carried out!

He's very good!

Noel Carey... 087 2533084

Actually... if you can't get down to him.... drop the alternator into me in Cookstown Ind Est. where i work and I'll drop it in to him on the way home... i pass his door every evening! :thumbsup:

[quote author=JAMIE-TYPERV6 link=topic=15726.msg193732#msg193732 date=1244796811]
Actually... if you can't get down to him.... drop the alternator into me in Cookstown Ind Est. where i work and I'll drop it in to him on the way home... i pass his door every evening! :thumbsup:
[/quote]
cheers for that..how much does he charge?

Depends on what parts are needed and what is involved in fixing it... he'll investigate and advice before he starts fixing on price and whther it's better to buy new... very honest fella... so he won't rob ya!

probably better to land the car on him coz the altenator shouldnt have gone already!!!!
might be an underlying problem somewhere else in the electrical charging system!!!
:dontknow: :dontknow:

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=15726.msg193775#msg193775 date=1244803622]
probably better to land the car on him coz the altenator shouldnt have gone already!!!!
might be an underlying problem somewhere else in the electrical charging system!!!
:dontknow: :dontknow:
[/quote]

I cant its dead..I have no money until 30th so its gonna have to sit there

Have my clifford remote start in just over a year now, use it 99% of the time and the car has probably covered at least 25,000kms since it was installed. Maybe someone more knowledgeable would know but i don't see how it would affect the alternator :ponder:

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=15726.msg193827#msg193827 date=1244810290]
Have my clifford remote start in just over a year now, use it 99% of the time and the car has probably covered at least 25,000kms since it was installed. Maybe someone more knowledgeable would know but i don't see how it would affect the alternator :ponder:
[/quote]

Thats what i was thinking it is basically wired to your starter and the alternator only turns over after the engine as turned over..must be just wanked

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=15726.msg193828#msg193828 date=1244810419]
[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=15726.msg193827#msg193827 date=1244810290]
[/quote]

Thats what i was thinking it is basically wired to your starter and the alternator only turns over after the engine as turned over..must be just wanked
[/quote]

Exactly my line of thought, cant see how it would affect it.

I have fitted a lot of remote start systems and the alternator shouldn't be effected by the remote start, Its wired to ignition live and starer output so it starts the car as you would when you turn the key. If you set the crank time too long you could, in theory, damage a starter motor but other than that :dontknow:

As for the Alternator itself, when it was rewound the last time it could've been the windings at fault but there is other parts that might have failed this time eg. Rectifier, commutator, armature or brushes. If these weren't in perfect condition last time it was opened then they could lead to the fault you have now :thumbsup:

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=15726.msg193718#msg193718 date=1244794581]
MY altenator went again this morning after only having it wound last year and probbaly only 5000 km ago..lad here in working is saying when he worked for BMW warranty dept the mechanics where saying autostarts w@nk your altenator and it would void the warranty..has anyone ever heard of this?
[/quote]

Hey fella... do you steam clean your engine bay much???

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=15726.msg193718#msg193718 date=1244794581]
[/quote]
no never I wouldnt put water near the electrics

[quote author=Scoobymaniac link=topic=15726.msg193833#msg193833 date=1244810950]
I have fitted a lot of remote start systems and the alternator shouldn't be effected by the remote start, Its wired to ignition live and starer output so it starts the car as you would when you turn the key. If you set the crank time too long you could, in theory, damage a starter motor but other than that :dontknow:

As for the Alternator itself, when it was rewound the last time it could've been the windings at fault but there is other parts that might have failed this time eg. Rectifier, commutator, armature or brushes. If these weren't in perfect condition last time it was opened then they could lead to the fault you have now :thumbsup:
[/quote]

It was done by the lad in walkinstown that does everyones..cant remeber the namec almanac or something? any way he's well known..Ive sourced a replacement now so happy days

buddy auto electrics
Noel
087 2256230
in nutgrove but hes mobile
helkl come to you and collect and drop back
does most garages etc around
real nice guy
Tell him your a mate of Collys from Alast Autos and hell look after you
:thumbsup:

Back