Vibration

S

Scoobymaniac

I fitted 2 new front outer CV joints today along with 2 new inner CV boots, all went well. I've fitted loads of CV joints in the past and never came across this problem.

Now I'm getting a vibration through the car when i turn right, the vibration is faster at higher speed. It feels like its comeing from the passenger side front wheel.

Anyone ever had this problem or ideas on a cause? Its doing my head in :hammerhead:

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=15703.msg193251#msg193251 date=1244673176]
is there a balance weight on the driveshaft phil???
:ponder: :ponder:
[/quote]

No, just the inner and outer CV joint on the shaft, nothing else. I assume if there is a balance weight it's on the shaft itself?

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=15703.msg193259#msg193259 date=1244674040]
thats a strange one!!!
:ponder: :ponder:
[/quote]

I know :dontknow:

When I was doing the passenger side outbored CV joint the Inner cv joint came out of the cup as the retaining ring wasn't sitting in place, so i removed the shaft and cup from the box, refitted the inner cv joint to the cup installed the retaining ring and put it back on to the box.

Do you think the vibration could be caused by not putting the 3 rollers from the inner cv joint back into their own slot in the cup? I know suabru say to mark the shaft and cup before you dismantle inner cv joint, i assume this is because the rollers wear different in their individual slots :dontknow:

any chance it could be the hub nut not tight enough......ive not seen a cv joint up close before....as in ive not changed one but ied look at that and the lower ball joint.

[quote author=northdublin link=topic=15703.msg193564#msg193564 date=1244751130]
any chance it could be the hub nut not tight enough......ive not seen a cv joint up close before....as in ive not changed one but ied look at that and the lower ball joint.
[/quote]

Both lower ball joints are new, only replaced them a few weeks ago. I double checked everything was tight.

But i think i found the problem, the new cv joints are for an STI but they have a slightly longer body than the ones i took off, i believe this caused the vibration, so i've put the old ones back on :thumbsup:

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=15703.msg193580#msg193580 date=1244753063]
did you not measure up before fitting,you mad thing???
glad you found the prob though!!!!
:icon_grin: :icon_grin:
[/quote]

I know :icon_redface: Feel stupid about that alright, but never knew you could get different body lengths, the shaft that goes into the hub is the same length, the spines are the same, I just (foolishly) assumed they were the same cv joint cause it fit.

But we live and learn, and I have learned from this alright

Cheers lads :thumbsup:

Back