Speedo not working.... RPM @ 4000

antonm

Petrolheads
Don't know if anyone can shed some light on this.

My speedo has not been working for a bit, well it's been working intermittently. When it's not working and I acc in 1st 5th or 6th and the Rev's hit ~ 4000 she hesitates and I need to change gear before she will go beyond 4000rpm. Also if I am cruising in 6th, sometimes the rev's just drop as if the engine has turned off but it hasn't, i need to depress the clutch and she is fine after that?! :dontknow:

I had her serviced in Castle Garages in Bray and Sean there had her up and tested all the speed sensors and said they were fine. He said it must be the KPH to MPH converter behind the actual clock. I will be ordering one tomorrow of Litchfields.

Has this happened to anyone or does anyone know anything about this sort of thing.

Cheers in advance
Anton

Hi Anton

i had a similar problem with my legacy when i got it it was from the uk and had being
converted to mph after weeks of wrecking me head brought it to C&R they replaced the censors and was fine for a week then started again back to C&R they thought it was clock spring around E400 to replace instead they sent it to an auto electrician and he found the kph to mph and the fog light conversion was all over the shop some type of governor he said.
swapped it back to kph and disconnected the rear fogs also had to de-restrict it and problem solved the odd time the rev counter will go mental when i use indicators.
would recommend auto electrician first.

Billy

because in england all speed is in mph. They put in a converter in jap cars so they read mph for the mot. Mine had it but i ripped the dirty thing out of there

[quote author=briancollins link=topic=15300.msg188449#msg188449 date=1243161887]
because in england all speed is in mph. They put in a converter in jap cars so they read mph for the mot. Mine had it but i ripped the dirty thing out of there
[/quote]

Yeah I get that but Anton not on england is he?just rip it out and bin it

the problem with ripping it out is that the odo reading will not change. So up until now it was reading mph, say there is 40k miles on the clock, take the convertor out it will start reading kph but urge men will still read 40l kilometers.

@Anton-code 33-vehicle speed sensor. Car is going into safe mode-hence 4k rev limit. @dagnut-I think those converters also remove the speed limiter-so thats the point.

Cheers for the replies lads.

I got the Car in England thats why the KPH to MPH converter and if took the thing out I wouldn't know what speed i was doing and what Brian said. I will check with an auto electrician too.
Again thanks for the replies.
:thumbsup:

[quote author=B4 soon link=topic=15300.msg188457#msg188457 date=1243163873]
@Anton-code 33-vehicle speed sensor. Car is going into safe mode-hence 4k rev limit. @dagnut-I think those converters also remove the speed limiter-so thats the point.
[/quote]

ah I see ted

Try this!
And do it your self to be sure, just under the intercooler, on top of the gearbox and about 6" from the turbo
There are 3 connecters, one is the DCCD, one is the speedo sensor, I can't remember what the other is,
Any way, the theary is, the heat from your bigger turbo has warped the connecter block for the speedo, disconnect and check for any damage, It could just be slightly warped, and reconnect,
Wrap them up with heat reflective tape,
It will take you 15 minutes and cost you €15 euro
Worth a shot!
Dan

Back