gearstick play

northdublin

Petrolheads
is there any way of reducing or removing play in the gear stick. when in neutral mine moves approx 3/4 of an inch either way. it doesnt move unless you push it with your hand, in other words its not floppin all over the place. i had a look under the sound deadning and there is a white ball joint in a receiver at the bottom of the stick. is there a bushing in there that can be replaced or tightened.

I dont think the free play has anything to do with the ball joint mick, I think its at the gearbox end :dontknow: but i'm open to correction on that

Same problem on my Impreza. Id say its the gear linkage bushings.
Ive asked for a price on the parts for mine twice now and still no word back :angry1:

theres a bit of left to right play in my B4 , but its not getting to the point of annoying me yet ....
when it does , ill chase this thread back up and see what the fix is

[quote author=silverbullitt link=topic=15034.msg185563#msg185563 date=1242164471]
theres a bit of left to right play in my B4 , but its not getting to the point of annoying me yet ....
when it does , ill chase this thread back up and see what the fix is
[/quote]

well if i get two sets of bushings ill keep one till you need them and then charge you a fortune for them :roll: :roll: :1poke:

it would also be worth while checking the springs under the car on the selector rods. i had one fall off and the gear stick would just flop from the center to the left when in neutral. replaced the spring and now it`s dead tight in neutral.

Myself and a mate have the same problem with ours, His is 96 and mine is 94. The is no feeling of tension in neutral left to right and when it is engaged in gear she can be moved left to right so i assume its the bushings too?

The springs are cheap. about 5-10 euro from Subaru max but it will have to be looked at to see what needs replacing in the first place.

Back