cleaning with Sponges

scania

Petrolheads
Might be a stupid question but do ye think there is a difference in using cheap sponges or is it just me :ponder2:, some dont be as soft as other even after water and suds. If so were do ye get them :hammerhead:

thanks in advance
richie

Don't use any sort of sponge, get a microfibre wash mitt instead, only about €14 in halfords for a meguiars one... Sponges don't gather the dirt particles like microfibres can, so the dirt gets dragged along the paint work caught between the sponge and the paint and this is the main cause of swirls marks in the paint and can somtimes cause much worse scratches... And you definitely wouldnt want to do anything to destroy that sweet paint job you just got done :thumbsup:

As said above, a sponge causes swirl marks, my brother got rid of the swirl marks on his car and he started using the sponge to wash the car again and after a week you could see swirl marks in the paint, so he uses the wash mitt now

sorry to jump in here but is it ok to put microfibre mits in the washing machine to clean them. i have one that i use for wiping the car down after a sponge wash but i might start using only it. they seem to collect the dirt better then any sponge so how do you clean it afterwards

[quote author=northdublin link=topic=14824.msg183393#msg183393 date=1241440766]
sorry to jump in here but is it ok to put microfibre mits in the washing machine to clean them. i have one that i use for wiping the car down after a sponge wash but i might start using only it. they seem to collect the dirt better then any sponge so how do you clean it afterwards
[/quote]

I run mine under the tap until the water runs clean, then hang it to dry for a while! :thumbsup:

No problem Northdublin, was wondering myself how to clean them or was it one use only, sound lads must make a purchase of one :thumbsup:

You can run them through the washing machine alright, just don't add any conditioner... You'd be best just leaving it run without any suds as well and that would clean it but a tiny bit of suds wouldnt hurt. The only thing i found on my old mitt was that the elastic starts to fatige.

You'd be better just running it under water and squeezing the dirt out and that should clean it but its not too big a deal at €14 a go

Back