cb radio and antenna

northdublin

Petrolheads
due to the recent scramble for cbs for upcomming events i thought ied see does anyone want to get their hands on one. ive bought a few over the net before and there are two companys that i would have no probs buying from on ebay. for a cb and antenna i reckon about 80 sterling would cover it but i would have to see how much discount i could get for a group buy. if there is any intrest post yer comment up or any questions ye have too.

good stuff lads. not sure how to go about it. i use paypal so if ye wanted to transfer the money to my paypal and then ill send the lot to the seller. or if ye dont have paypal then meet up and use cash, either way ied be paying for them via paypal. ill send a few emails and get some prices. if ye want to gimme some ideas of what ye would like, ie height and type of antenna. they all come with brackets and a power lead usually with a cig adaptor, if they dont ill fit one for anyone not connecting directly to the battery.

Are these the best options mick, you were talking about some other radios a couple of weeks ago. Would prefer to get the right option first time.

[quote author=STi Brian link=topic=14751.msg182439#msg182439 date=1241037632]
Are these the best options mick, you were talking about some other radios a couple of weeks ago. Would prefer to get the right option first time.
[/quote]

They as far as i remember were 2 way radios.

I know nothing about this sort of thing but can you have unlimited amounts of people on 2 way radios or are they setup for only picking up 1 or 2? And what would the range be like on them?

[quote author=STi Brian link=topic=14751.msg182445#msg182445 date=1241037947]
I know nothing about this sort of thing but can you have unlimited amounts of people on 2 way radios or are they setup for only picking up 1 or 2? And what would the range be like on them?
[/quote]

Ah you could have a few people working off the same frequency alright but the range would be ok, but with cb, with external ariel, would get nearly a kilometre out of it maybe, and then you can use them more for outside of the club or events! keep ye company on a long drive!! lol

A kilometer! we used to talk all over ireland from the cars and a lot of nights we would go up the hills and get to the states. It all depends what cb you are using and what power they are pushing out( most can be tweaked for more power and frequencys) and of course what antenna you are using. As someone said in an other post President is and has been for a long time one of the best radios on the market.
There is another way to go which is a PMR band radio, handheld and can be tweaked up to 5 watts power output, which will cover over 20 kilometers, I was a cb freak for years and have had a lot of different radios and equiptment

i was looking at pmr 446 which is an unlicenced band. they only come in handhelds with very limited power compared to a cb. to opperate a propper two way radio you need a licence, which cost more money and comreg have to alocate a certain frequency to the users. a pmr 446 radio pushes out about 500 milliwatts of power, thats half a watt. a cb pushes out 4 watts which is a huge differance. also with a cb you can converse with other members who allready have a set and are not confined to the few that would have their own band.
with a standard cb set up the range is allways down to your location, but recently while testing my own i spoke to a guy on the m1 at balbriggan while i was static outside my house in rush, this may not seem like much but taking into account the geography....ie the big hill that skerries is on, its quite good.
the average 40 ch cb is about half the side of a car stereo and comes with a bracket for mounting, if ye dont feel like drilling holes to mount it some good heavy duty velcro will do.
there are various differant bands depending on what region your in, for example the uk are on a differant set of frequencies then us, to help with this most modern radios can be switched between the regions. so if you see a cb advertised with 240 ch this usually means it can be set to whatever region your in. the frequency range we are in is 26.965-27.405.
the bigger the antenna the better, but you are only as good as the station that is receiving you.
if ye have any more questions ask away and we'll try to answer them

Its a long time since i saw a 40 ch set most have the crazy 40s the graveyard the high ans super high and normally a 5khz shift for half chanelsso hundreds available, that intek can be pushed to 5 watt simply by cutting a link under the battery cover

[quote author=fenster link=topic=14751.msg182456#msg182456 date=1241038584]
A kilometer! we used to talk all over ireland from the cars and a lot of nights we would go up the hills and get to the states. It all depends what cb you are using and what power they are pushing out( most can be tweaked for more power and frequencys) and of course what antenna you are using. As someone said in an other post President is and has been for a long time one of the best radios on the market.
There is another way to go which is a PMR band radio, handheld and can be tweaked up to 5 watts power output, which will cover over 20 kilometers, I was a cb freak for years and have had a lot of different radios and equiptment
[/quote]
this is true, when the conditions are right ye can bounce your signal of the ionisphere and chat with many parts of the world, the conditions determine the ammount of skip.
the disadvantage of any pmr radio is they are handheld, which is ideal for public events but imo not suitable for cars. ive used many handhelds in cars and found it to be a pain in the arse.
most radios can be tweeked to push out more power but this drasticaly reduces the life of the unit and is not practical in this instance.

I know nothing about them lads so sorry I cant help,
but if you are going ahead with the group buy I will deffo
take one please :thumbsup:

tbh the whole range thing isnt important for what the majority of the lads in the club will use them for. from what i can gather they will be used in close convoys so i think small descreet antennas are the way to go. the company mentioned by fenster do a small mag mount antenna which would be ideal.

[quote author=northdublin link=topic=14751.msg182501#msg182501 date=1241042328]
tbh the whole range thing isnt important for what the majority of the lads in the club will use them for. from what i can gather they will be used in close convoys so i think small descreet antennas are the way to go. the company mentioned by fenster do a small mag mount antenna which would be ideal.
[/quote]

:thumbsup: sounds perfect to me :clap:

Back