2 MAFS in 2 months

M

Matt

Went out for a quick spin after getting the wheel alignment done and the MAF went.
The last one only went just before the AGM.
Anybody have this experience before?
Im using a pipercross panel filter with the intake silencer removed and just had it remapped after the new maf went in a month or so ago.
Not the cheapest thing to replace every other month.

Yeah both mafs genuine.
I read before removing the intake silencer that shortly after peoples mafs failed. Which is what happened to me.
But Andy Forrest recomends removing the silencer before mapping :dontknow:

Thats mad :ponder2: Can't see how removing the intake silencer would make the MAF fail though :dontknow: I think the problem is something else

Yeah cant see why removing the silencer would damage the maf especially since it was remapped after i removed the silencer.
I wonder is it the pipercross panel filter? I heard ITG filters are a big no no for a Subaru for some reason and the pipercross is made in a similar way from different grades of foam.
I wonder is debris off the foam filter hitting the maf where the intake silencer may have caught this beforehand :dontknow:
Maybe i should stick a standard filter or K&N in it.
I wonder will Subaru replace the maf under warrenty as its only a month or 2 old :dontknow:

i dont think subaru will change it as you have an after market filter, i would change the filter to a apexi panel filter which is a paper filter so no oil or foam to do the damage

i have a hks cone filter and its foam and never a problem with the maf

i also have a working but used maf ther if you want it matt

Ive an old spare maf thats 90% here so ok till i get a new one but thanks anyway Johnathan :thumbsup:
Yeah puzzled about it myself as the pipercross filter has no oil either.
You can actually see in the maf where it broke, same as the last one. Like a tiny foil wire broke. I had the window open a bit this time and actually heard it ping from the direction of the airbox at the same time it gave a slight hesitation :angry1:

I use a dry Apexi cone filter without any problems but i really doubt its the filter.

The MAF measures the weight of the air by measuring the voltage it takes to keep that piece of wire at a constant temp. Maybe some kind of short or wiring problem caused the wire to over heat and break :dontknow: (pure guess)

its a strange one alright

only one way to sort it, simtek with anti lag and launch controll and get rid of that maf, ooohhh yeaahhhhhhhh

[quote author=DUFFMAN link=topic=14354.msg177595#msg177595 date=1239737997]
its a strange one alright

only one way to sort it, simtek with anti lag and launch controll and get rid of that maf, ooohhh yeaahhhhhhhh
[/quote]

+1

That's what I'd do if i had the cash :pray:

[quote author=Matt link=topic=14354.msg177605#msg177605 date=1239738671]
Yeah that sounds like a good plan. If only i had the money :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Fancy doing a bank job? :new_2gunsfiring_v1: :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

:lol:
I wonder does the sensor at the start of the air intake(temp sensor i think) have anything to do with the way the maf works? :ponder2:
Because now that the intake silencer is removed, this sensor is pretty much doing nothing.

Dunno if that's intake temp sensor but i know the one you mean

my sensor is unplugged cause i don't have an airbox anymore, and my MAF is fine

Ill have to get a new maf and try unplug that sensor. Might get a new filter too and see how i get on.
Just strange that i removed the intake silencer then a month later the maf went. I replaced the maf and now a month after that, this one goes too.

a brand new maf sensor should be covered under warranty, i cant imagine a performance panel filter damaging the maf there safe compared to a induction kit which can cause maf sensor problem

i have a perrin induction kit nearly a year and a half with no problems!!!!
oiled regular also!!!

sounds like some sort of wiring problem!!!
:ponder2: :ponder2:

Its a strange one. Ive read on other forums of peoples maf's going shortly after removing the intake silencer.
I might just put the silencer back in as i had no problems before that with the previous maf which id had in it a year with the pipercross filter

I always thought that certain filters that contain a certain oil are causes of fukn up mafs, it cant be silencer, if it was evey induction kit car would have same problem, i reckon its your filter

Back