advise please

P

paddy

just back from a trip across the country and cars developed a constant knocking sound front passenger side any advise on what i should start looking at first lads any tips would be great :wall:

Constant as in even when the car is stopped and idling?

Could be your engine mate, get a mechanic to get it out right away and do not drive it!!

Shocks??? if its only when the car is driving but if its when idleing then get a mechanic on straight away and dont drive :thumbsup::dontknow:

[quote author=paddy link=topic=14344.msg177400#msg177400 date=1239715974]
its just when driving
[/quote]

CV joint? Can you hear it when driving straight? Or only when turning?

Sorry if I scared you about the engine lol

Stephen.

jasus steve you nearly gave me a heart attack only have the car a few weeks nearly had it stolen the first week and now this. ive to drive into dublin from navan now so id better take it handy :icon_cry:

[quote author=paddy link=topic=14344.msg177404#msg177404 date=1239716380]
jasus steve you nearly gave me a heart attack only have the car a few weeks nearly had it stolen the first week and now this. ive to drive into dublin from navan now so id better take it handy :icon_cry:
[/quote]

Sorry man didn't mean to scare you, if you can't hear it when the car is stopped then its more than likely not the engine. CV joint or wheel bearing etc...

One of the more experienced lads will be able to help you diagnose it better. Or Dave in STi Tuning is in between Navan and Dublin, he's in Dunshaughlin, maybe you could pop in to him, he might be able to check it out for you?

His number is 0857715343.

Sorry again man, didn't mean to scare you like that lol.

Steve.

I am not sure but if the drive boot had torn or ripped would it cause a knocking sound, That can either be handy and cheap too fix or handy but expensive. If the boot is gone then you will notice grease on the ground or splattered on the underside of the car, It will onle be replacing the rubber that has too be done but if its fubbared you will need a new CV joint. :thumbsup:

dont worry mate im so new at this i might as well be looking into a black hole thanks for the advise its great to know i can get it

As the lads said above its possible that its something to do with the suspension or drive system.
If it only knocks when you hit a bump it could be a bushin.
If it is a worbelling noise when the car is moving it could be a bearing.
It could be a CV joint which will make noise when the wheels are in motion.

Your best bet is to have a mechanic look at it.

get the shock mountings checked and the drop links!!!!
balljoints or even engine mountings!!!
:dontknow: :dontknow:
doubt its a wheel bearing or cv joint IMO...

Top mounts can wear out-causes annoying knocking which gets worse when turning and on rough ground-like gravel car parks

thanks lads for all the advice mechanic taking it at weekend. got a question for yis its a thicko one now ok, :dontknow: but im gonna ask anyway :icon_redface: whats karma and how come ive just aquired some :ponder:

if somebody gives you good info or helps you out,click on the applaud icon above the avatar of the member who helps!!!!
since you had none,somebody felt giving!!!!
:icon_grin: :icon_grin:

jasus yhats as techinical as the advice i got for me front knocking problem :icon_redface:

lads thanks for all your sound advice about knocking prob its wheel bearing having it done tomorrow, first day without having the car, what am i supposed to do without it :dontknow: you,s didnt tell me id have withdrawls :naughty: :lol:

Back