Prodrive Question

MurphWRX

Sunday Drivers
Hey fellow scooby people  :dance:

I have a 06 WRX and had the prodrive fitted last year since I had it fitted the car hasn't been as quick as it was with out the prodrive kid. I have been back and forward with Subaru for the past 8months and NO joy with them at all, there are no faults in the car or prodrive that they can find so bottom line is they can't help me.
long story short, it's all down to the fuel, I know I should be running 97 octane, but hey this is the south and super unleaded is in the past, I have been running on Lucas Octane Booster, and have went side by side with a friend testing in each gear, ie. 0-60, 40-80 in 3rd gear, and from 50 onwards in 5th gear, ect.. and each time "slowly" he pulled away from me, i know for a fact that his car is 215bhp standard. I have been up to Donnelly Subaru with it yesterday "Tuesday 20th" and they told me that the prodrive will only run on Super unleaded and NOT an Octane booster. When I was up in Belfast I put £40 of super unleaded into the car and Donnelly reset the ECU to show me just how the car should run, I bought the car in March of 06 and the car has never been as quick as it is now. I’m so happy with the performance now but I have a feeling that as soon as the tank is empty and I fill up with 95 unleaded "with Lucas octane" that the performance will go back to the way it was. If that is the case, to the courts with me I go. One guy from Subaru Belfast said that the Prodrive should NOT be sold in the South, due to the fact that we do not have super unleaded and Octane booster can cancel the warranty

I’m looking to anyone who has a new age WRX with the Prodrive kid on it and to see or even meet up with them to compare. 

MurphWRX

YEAH  :subaru:

Hello Murph,

I don't have a prodrive kit fitted to my car, but i have had an engine remap done on my car in the last couple off weeks. My car was setup for jap 101ron fuel & had shown signs of retardation prior to the remap. Andy forrest carried out the remap for Irish fuel + octance booster and what a differance.

As you have not had any joy in improving the lack of performace in the car & the subaru dealer has said that the kit does not work on 95ron, can I suggest that you send a PM to Damo (reno555) and ask him what Andy could do for you. He could possibly carry out a remap to 95+booster. He should be able to tell you why your car is suffering retardation.

The only down side maybe the warranty, but I cannot see them having a valid arguement against a remap when they could not sort it out  :ponder:

Cheers,

MIchael

MurphWRX there's definitly something a miss there.
WaspsRFC had his New age impreza fitted with a PPP
and after a little hic up or two at the start it's perfect now.

Yes PPP is mapped for SUL but i reckon you should fill her up with
95 RON half bottle of lucas , reset the ECU and see what happens.

Was it Donnelly's who fitted the PPP it seems like there just passing the buck ???

Niall.

hi thanx for the respons.
yean i know reno well and i know that bookin my car in with Andy will sort it out, but, i have handed over alot of money to subaru to get this fitted and to keep my warranty.
it wasn't Donnelly's that fitted the PPP it was subaru in bray. "and just for the record" THEY HAVEN'T A CLUE OUT THERE  :dunno:
I'll get on with WaspsRFC and have a chat with him.
i have a half tank of super unleaded so when tat runs out i'll put in 95 and the Lucas see what happens, do ya recon only half a bottle or full one?
it's just before i put in the super unleaded i was using a half bottle and it was just like using nottin at all.

i'll keep ya's up-to-date

thanks again

murphWRX  :subaru:

MurphWRX have you been drinking some of that Lucas :lol: :lol:

I use a half bottle of lucas because that's what AndyF mapped the car for.
You can actually use too much Octane booster so i would stay away from
a full bottle per tank.

Once you refill the tank reset the ECU yourself and see if that helps .

Niall.

I rang performance subaru a few months ago about fitting the ppp and they wouldnt do it because of the fuel. They also told me octane boost would'nt work .The STI is supposed to run on 98 Ron anyway let alone with a ppp. I went head to head with a wrx last year that had a full exhaust and induction kit and it out ran me even though to drive the two cars the sti felt quicker. I put it on the rollers and it showed 200 bhp at the wheels 287@ the fly with a half bottle of lucas. Even though they sell lucas they only reccomend NF as they said they have tested it on the rollers and can guarantee it works.If you reside anywhere around Cork we'll meet up and see what happens.

The NF is a great octane booster but Lucas has been tested aswell, and proven to work. Its really only if a car is mapped for say half a bottle of booster that a mapper can get more out of the car. If you add in a full bottle or 2 or 3 bottles of booster per tank it wont give you anymore power but just increase your safety margin. Thats why people who are mapped for a half bottle throw in a full bottle when they do a rolling road or trackday for some extra safety. Wont go any quicker though.

hi murph,

welcome to the site.

as niall said i had a few hiccups with the installation of the PPP (they sent a WRX kit, not an STi version) but all is now well and in order. i have just completed 20,000km on the PPP and no faults to result at all.

i, personally, felt an immediate increase in the torque levels after the installation - eg; 4th doing what 3rd did before the installation and the kick off the line seems slight more urgent (for want of a better description)

before the kit was installed i had telephoned Prodrive in the UK and asked about running it on 95ron and the engineer i spke with said that although the system is setup to run on super unleaded it sould do the car any damage as long as it isnt constantly driven hard.

if you want to pm me please do.

hi wasps rfc.. are you using a octane booster? or super unleaded? i was on with prodrive in the uk and they said that to only run super unleaded, they said the car will run on 95 without any damage to the car but i wont get the full benefits from the kit. i was not told this before buying the kid off subaru.
i was told that i would get between 245 and 265 bhp with the kit with using 95RON. and thats why i went for it. 221 is what it is now. :dunno:

hi Niall i don't drink that much Lucas just enough to kick start me day. :guinness:
i have only been using a half bottle each time and i was doin that for 3 months with alot of dirving, then i stoped using it to see what would happen and the car was the same still felt the same power, its just in the last week I'm using superunleaded its been the quickest its' ever been.

i really dont think the south should sell the PPP kit when we don't have the fuel for it and octane booster will viod my warranty. :computer:

SIMI here i come haha :angry:

All i can say is thank god for the Shell super, and super plus. think there cud be an opening for a smuggling operation but in reverse here, ie shell super southwards.... :ponder:

have anyone heard the rumour that Solberg is coming to donegal in june....... :subaru:

been trying to get this confirmed but when the question is asked i never get a straight answer from the powers that be. :ponder:

well any way ill be on the 1st stage start line as usual............. giving them there start times................

I'm getting a strong feeling of deja vu here. I posted up earlier on the effects of fueling on PPP having had an RB5 a while back.

The point of the post was once the super left our shores, so did any performance advantage from the PPP.

Your advice from Prodrive is correct, the car runs perfectly safely on 95, however to do so, it will drop onto the low octane map if it senses det. Once it drops back, all of the performance enhancement disappears and the car will run slow. Actually it will feel even slower than before as it may drop back further on the map than ordinarily and you will feel it all the more having got used to the extra performance.

I have the same problem in my Evo. On 95 it was good for 300 dead at Westward, after 15 litres of race fuel into half a tank of 95 and an ECU reset it managed 320 at the RR day in November. I reckon having run it on 95 and booster for the last few months it is at least 320 and maybe a bit more, all down to fuel. She is due a service at the moment and I have nearly run out of booster so I have been running her on just 95 the last two weeks. The result, she's safe, but slow.

I can't really recommend a solution, I went modding my RB5 to get back the lost power. However, you can't remap the Prodrive ECU, so I went for standard TEK 3 remap and then ultimately a LINK, also ran full decat, new turbo, induction, etc., no problem getting the car to feel quick again.

This I wouldn't recommend for yourself seeing as you've just spent a pile of money and are still under warranty. I'd run it on the booster religiously. Lucas claims to be 100% safe for everything and I run one bottle to a full tank. I'd give it a go, remember though, if you miss even one fill, det can happen and the ECU will wind back automatically and not creep forward again for a good while so you'll be back resetting the ECU again.

Also, resetting the ECU will not get you full performance, the ECU will gradually push the timing forward if it doesn't encounter det and it can take a while to get to its maximum setting, sometimes needing hours or days of driving.

The joys of 95.

pls scuse the further delayed reply.

should have pointed out that i spend alot of time in the uk where it is easy enough to get the shell super which i why i decided to have the PPP installed - for the week i spend back in blighty it is worth having the 3 weeks on 95! although that being said we are probably getting better fuel than those in the south east at the moment

just a quick note on fuel in n.ireland, all fuel with the exception of B.P comes from the same depot in belfast, therefore shell super comes from the same tank as esso super or any other northern petrol station. The supermarket fuel up here comes from the same supplier although they have also used B.P(just depended on who's doing the best deal). Thats why there's no shell v power up here & why we do have B.P ultimate!

Back