Legacy tyres

G

greenwagon

I'm still waiting for my local tyre fitters to get me some Bridgestone Potenza G009s, but though some people seem to recommend them very strongly, especialy in the wet (and we sometimes get a bit of that here in Co. Clare! :whistle:), I've now come across a couple of references to problems with them rubbing (when fitted to Outbacks), and it seems that they're 1.3 inches wider than normal. Anybody tried them, or know anything about this?

My car is a Legacy RX wagon, and came with five-spoke alloys and 195/65 R15 tyres.

Hey greenwagon,
1.3" wider :shock: :shock: that's nearly
30 mm aprox.

That's wrong, no way .
Your Tyres are 195 mm wide, the bridgetones might have a bigger
or stronger sidewall maybe a couple of mm thicker but i cant see
195's been a problem. Best check with Legacy owners to be sure.

Niall.

Re: Legacy tyres (Bridgestone Potenza G009)

[quote author=Niallyboy link=topic=1602.msg13873#msg13873 date=1172053958]That's wrong, no way .
Your Tyres are 195 mm wide... [/quote]
Niall,

You'd think so alright, but I'm just going on the Customer Survey comments on the Tire Rack website where they get a second highest 8.14 average rating, but a 2003 Outback owner (who rated them only 4.4) reports:

When I turn/cut the wheels all the way, the front tires rub on the wheel well! (I actually bought the tires from an Tire Rack authorized installer - Performance Tire, Clinton, NJ - and they are doing everything to help me! They are baffled, since they never had this problem before. So, John, from Performance, calls Bridgestone and they say that the G009 is 1.3 inches WIDER!!! So, Tire Rack, please take this tire of the recommended list for 2003 Subaru Outbacks (Probably, model years 2000 - 2005)!

Whilst a 2000 Outback owner (who gave them 7.1) says:

Unfortunately, I discounted one reviewer who said he had rubbing problems on his Outback, as I couldnt find any other reports of the problem and both my Subaru Dealer and the Bridgestone Dealer said they put them on a lot of Outbacks. (Im in Colorado, and Outbacks are all over the place.) Anyway, I did have some rubbing when going over a bump or making a hard right. It turns out the tire was rubbing on part of the splash guard. We later found out that Subaru changed the design of the flap in such a way that eliminated the rubbing, so that problem was fixed with a modified splash guard.

And there are more than a few bumps & hard rights around here ...  :roll:

Maybe it's just a problem with some Outbacks, and not with Legacys?  :dunno:

Hope so!

Stephen

Ya that seems a bit of a strange one allright :ponder:

I just can't get my head around a 195 tyre actually been
225 :ponder: :ponder:
That American dude i wonder did he mean 1.3mm thicker
or something ????

Maybe some of the other lads might be able to shed some light :dunno: :dunno:

Niall.

If you're looking for a tyre that's good in the wet I can really recommend the Good Year Eagle F1 GSD3 . Best tyre I've ever had on a road car & they get good reviews everywhere . Only downside is if you're planning to go off road as they are crap on mud & grass .

No Turbo most of us don't drive
across fields, up mountains or crash through
check points................just for the fun of it :nana: :nana: :nana:

Niall.

[quote author=Turbo link=topic=1602.msg14046#msg14046 date=1172194552]Only when the sheep play hard to get . :D :nana:[/quote]
Take the word of an old hand:  What you lads need is a wagon, then you'd have room for a few bales of hay in the back to get them to come to you, as well as yer wellies!  :whistle:  :nana:

Anyway, fingers crossed they should have those Bridgestones for me tomorrow (but not holding my breath), and doubly crossed that they're not gonna rub.  :pray:

[quote author=Niallyboy link=topic=1602.msg14051#msg14051 date=1172223558]Hope all goes well greenwagon and let us know how you get on !![/quote]

Some hope! After waiting more than a week, and being let down a couple of times already, I went into the tyre fitters in Kilrush this afternoon to be told they'd got the Bridgestones for me, only to find what they had were  B250s which I looked up on the internet and discovered are "family car" tyres (originally designed for the Opel Astra and OE on the Renault Clio and Toyota Yaris). It seems their supplier didn't have any others, and the guy even asked me why I didn't want them! (He should come for a drive with me!!) Grrr!!!  :angry: :angry: :angry:

So now Crowley's Garage are going to try & get them for me.  :pray: :pray: :pray:

[quote author=P1 Alan link=topic=1602.msg14089#msg14089 date=1172280136]As said earlier - Goodyear Eagle F1's are a very good all round tyre :thumbsup:[/quote]
Alan,

Yes, I see they're very well reviewed elsewhere too, and they sound like superb summer tyres (with fantastic grip in the wet), as well as being good for the track. WRX drivers seem to love them and if I'd got a turbo Impreza I'm sure that I'd get a set, but they might be a bit like "overkill" on my non-turbo 2.0 wagon, which (sadly  :cry:) doesn't quite have that kind of performance (though it's still a great car to drive).

I was looking for something in between, and really fancied a set of the new Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, but they were only introduced in the USA last year and I don't think they're available this side of the Atlantic yet. So the Bridgestones were really my second choice, and even they seem to be proving a problem to get.

Maybe it's my car that I should be changing, now the tyres are worn out? Now there's a thought!  :evil:

Anybody wanna trade?  ;)

Well, now it seems that the G009s can't be got at all in Ireland, which is a great pity as they seemed to offer lot's of "bang per buck". Trying to get the best value tyres is proving quite a learning curve, not only as regards the availability of specific tyres in different countries, but also the different size wheels/tyres that Subaru (and no doubt other manufacturers) supply as "standard" on the same new cars in various countries!

Apart from cost, one of my problems choosing the right tyre has been the 65 aspect ratio as most performance tyres are only 60 or less. But I've now spoken to the service department at Subaru Ireland who reckon that 195/60 R15 should be no problem, and may well be what was on the car originally, which now opens up various (though more expensive) possibilities.

So now I'm thinking about the Bridgestone Potenza RE 720, or even the Goodyear Eagle F1s that have been recommended so strongly here, but would I be crazy to put them on a non-turbo Legacy, and if not; where can I get the best deal in the south-west? (Maybe going as far north as Galway.)

Of course the van driver for Advance Pit Stop (who seems to supply all the tyres to garages around here) wants to sell me "a nice set of Contis", and tells me that "all tyres are the same, you're only paying for a brand name", but then he would, wouldn't he?  :roll:

[quote author=Turbo link=topic=1602.msg13949#msg13949 date=1172105328]If you're looking for a tyre that's good in the wet I can really recommend the Good Year Eagle F1 GSD3 . [/quote]

And in theory (according to their website) Goodyear do make them in 195/60 R15, but you just try and get a set!  :eek:mg:  :dunno:

I got a reply from Camskill this morning telling me that the GS-D3s are not made in my size, though they can supply me with Bridgestone Potenza RE 720s at £63.00 each, while suppliers here are telling me that the RE 720 has been replaced by the the ER 300 (but that's a touring tyre, not a high performance one, and it isn't true). And I'm hoping to get a reply from D.26 Tire Co. in Monaghan today about the availability of Vredestein Hi-Trac.  :pray:

My car has now been off the road for the last couple of weeks, and I never expected this to be so difficult.  :wall:

So what tyres do other Legacy owners use?

Christ greenwagon your certanily getting the run about :shock: :shock:
Hopefully some of the legacy lads might shed some light on thios for ya

You could also try Perelli should be a bit cheaper that Eagle F1's and
still a very good tyre.

NIall.

[quote author=Niallyboy link=topic=1602.msg14552#msg14552 date=1172828134]Christ greenwagon your certanily getting the run about :shock: :shock:[/quote]
Yep, and I still am.  :roll:

I should have gone for the RE 720s off Camskill, but they didn't have them in stock and I didn't want to wait (a couple of days they said) while they got them in and then delivered them from England. Wish I had!  :shock:

Instead I ordered Vredesteins off Eiretyres on Friday 2nd March and was told that they'd be delivered to the fitting station the following week, then it was extended to 15th March, but it seems that Parceline couldn't locate the delivery address and half my tyres are on their way back to the warehouse (which is in Germany!) and the other half should be delivered on Thursday (pity I need four of them  :( ). Mind you, the address was wrong on the website (it says Ballybofey when it should read Ennis), but I did point out the error when I ordered. :angry:

I'm beginning to think I should get another set of wheels, so this can't happen again and I can get some F1s - I've been offered a set of used 16" gold Speedlines for 400 euros, does that sound reasonable?

Back