Free Play in Steering

S

Scoobymaniac

Only noticed last night there seems to be a bit of free play in the steering, She's a 97 STI Type R

Anyone had this before?

There's not a lot mentioned about it in the Service Manuals except stripping the rack etc.

Any advice welcome lads, Cheers in advance :thumbsup:

could be a few things, steering rack bushing ,tyre pressure,tracking,track rod condition,ball joint to track rod and drop links and anti roll bar bushings

There was 4 new tyres put on about 1000 Km ago and I got the Tracking/Alignment and balancing done then, also I check the tyre pressures once a week so doubt its them.

I didn't think anti-roll bar bushings or links would cause the free play I'm feeling, You know when I'm on a straight road I can move the steering wheel left and right slightly but the car continues straight.

I did think track rod or track rod ends, or maybe steering gearbox.

The car was perfect upto about a week ago, I thought it felt a bit odd but put it down to road camber, but there is defo free play in the steering.

Anyone had this problem?

I did about a month back in the legacy-car was wandering a bit and when you cross the white line it was worse-it was play in both track rods and track rod ends-all sorted now.

anti-roll bar or links wont cause the prob !!!!
balljoints possibly...
track rods should have been picked up on wheel alignment so i'm assuming they are fine!!!!
check that the bolt holding column to rack is not loosened!!!
very unlikely to be worm gearing in the rack!!!!
there may not be anything wrong mate coz there should be a small amount of freeplay(differs from model to model)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back