Power Steering issues

Mark Cahill

Full ISDC Members 2015Member Number 555
Been having a few issues with the power steering lately. Only seems to happen on cold start ups. Loud squeeling noise and if you try to turn the wheel it gets very heavy and jumpy along with a battery light and handbrake light flashing together. Once it starts to warm up it stops. Have noticed a large build up of what i can only describe as soot, around the alternator that looks to be coming from the belt. I have changed the belt but still the same!

Could the power steering pump be on its last legs? How easy/difficult are they to fit? Is there anything else that needs to be changed along with the pump? Will a pump from an Impreza be the same as a Legacy? :thumbsup:

Sounds like the belt is too loose Mark.
Squeeling when cold is a sign of a loose belt, and the dust possibly off the belt suggests its slipping.
Did you try tighten it up with the tensioner?
Your battery light is probably flashing as the alternator works off the same belt :thumbsup:

Mark I'd the same a few weeks ago and thought it was the Pump, dropped it into dave and it was only a belt :thumbsup:
Cheers
John

Had this problem for a long time lads. Was an issue that was ongoing for about a year. Changed belts a couple of times but problem returned. Even changed the power steerin pump to no avail.

Turned out it was the size of the belt. Think the belts i was being supplied with were 5-10mil too long and not sitting clean on the pullies. Got correct belt from Southside and had no problems since. If you want to check the didgets on the belt let me know.

sounds like a loose belt mark!!!!
:ponder2: :ponder2:
if the belt was skipping on the altenator pulley,the battery light will come on!!!
tighten it up bit more...
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As above sounds like belt loose and slipping..

@alanmcb4

the installer of the belt really should have noticed it was too long on installation.

@ Dave - i know what ya mean. Got the belts replaced when timing belt was done and the issues started then! The only thing an installer would realise it that the adjuster was at the max with this belt. I.E The altenater was as high as it would go. The belt still tightened but came loose after a while.

I went to C&R and got another belt from them, it was too narrow and eventually shredded and snapped while on the South Circular! Didn't go back to C&R and I'm not dissin them, simple mistake.

Got the correct belt in Southside Automotive and no issues since.

Can anyone tell me what the pulley marked c/p is for?? I was looking today and there seems to be a small wobble when its spinning, could this be causing the noise?? :dontknow:

42289746.gif

thats the crankshaft pulley mark!!!!
bring that to your mechanic sooner rather than later!!!!
thats the main pulley on the engine and some are rubber mounted....could be starting to break up!!!
would defineatly cause the squeal...
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As above...

Its main crankshaft pulley.... A wobble in this would cause preature wear and failure in your belt..

C&R should more then likely would have ordered your belt directly from your chassis number and therefore the correct belt for your car. Premature belt failure more then likely caused by wobble within cranshaft pulley.

Cheers for that Mark! :thumbsup:

Just wondering would they be the same size as OEM or would i have to change belt sizes or anything to compensate!

Back