loosing power(boost)

CAFF

Sunday Drivers
wel lads. problem with my scooby. it was running fine then all of sudden just loose power. it would only half boost through every gear. then 5 mins
later its running on full boost and flying it!! it was like that for few days, now its running bad the hole time, hesitating and only half boosting. cant but my finger on it :hammerhead: any ideas??

Have you a Check Engine Light on?

If so you could run diagnostics and it will tell you whats wrong.

As Andy said,

Checking error codes if the CEL came on would be your best bet. Could be a lot of things. Without a CEL coming on its down to process of elimination, which takes time :thumbsup:

no lights on watsoever.. thats wats puzzlin me. its a 00 classic shape. it drives perfect if your just tippin round but when you drop the boot it only half goes if ya no wat i mean, someone said it coulb be the maf sensor, but would that do that??

[quote author=CAFF link=topic=13658.msg169118#msg169118 date=1237394682]
no lights on watsoever.. thats what's puzzlin me. its a 00 classic shape. it drives perfect if your just tippin round but when you drop the boot it only half goes if ya no what i mean, someone said it coulb be the maf sensor, but would that do that??
[/quote]

have you a decat downpipe fitted it could it be hitting fuel cut does this happen around 4500 rpm ?

A few things, Maf but if no cel i doubt it, Also if you can check the coil pack. that can go fairly commen, but if that has gone it can lead too the lambada sensor having too be changed which will cost a few penny's. Dont drive it and try get a diagnostics done but i'd have a suspicion on coil pack. :thumbsup:

[quote author=MarkC link=topic=13658.msg169120#msg169120 date=1237394872]
[quote author=CAFF link=topic=13658.msg169118#msg169118 date=1237394682]
no lights on watsoever.. thats what's puzzlin me. its a 00 classic shape. it drives perfect if your just tippin round but when you drop the boot it only half goes if ya no what i mean, someone said it coulb be the maf sensor, but would that do that??
[/quote]

have you a decat downpipe fitted it could it be hitting fuel cut does this happen around 4500 rpm ?
[/quote]
no decat fitted or tuned, its standard (enough)!.

[quote author=keith dublin link=topic=13658.msg169146#msg169146 date=1237400796]
Id put me money on the coil pack :thumbsup:

Where are you living??
[/quote]

What Keith said.

Or possibly plug lead breaking down, had the same problem a couple of months ago, 00 Classic too & plug leads although showing no visible signs of wear were replaced & problem solved :thumbsup:

[quote author=keith dublin link=topic=13658.msg169146#msg169146 date=1237400796]
Id put me money on the coil pack :thumbsup:

Where are you living??
[/quote]

so ye tink it mite be coil pack? i living in offaly.

You can check the coil pack for the spark yourself, One of the lads might be able too explain better than me as i know the legacy, but most mechanics should be able check for you. :thumbsup:

hey lads. just opened the hood to have another look and i put my hand on the pluglead and it lifted me out of it. got a whoefall shock out of it. does that mean a falty lead ye?? an would that mean the cause of the loss of power? but when i plugged it back in i couldn get any more shocks and stil no power???

You must be mad putting your hand on a plug lead when the engine is running get it checked by somone who knows what they doing.

[quote author=CAFF link=topic=13658.msg169422#msg169422 date=1237497788]
hey lads. just opened the hood to have another look and i put my hand on the pluglead and it lifted me out of it. got a whoefall shock out of it. does that mean a falty lead ye?? an would that mean the cause of the loss of power? but when i plugged it back in i couldn get any more shocks and stil no power???
[/quote]

not nessecarily mate!!!
:ponder2: :ponder2:

just out of interest here mate..i changed my exhaust system last week,now my wagon only goes up to 4500 exactly then starts back fireing and will not go over 4500...what would this mean,it has a decat..sorry for the hijack :icon_eyes:

[quote author=wjc link=topic=13658.msg169451#msg169451 date=1237502274]

just out of interest here mate..i changed my exhaust system last week,now my wagon only goes up to 4500 exactly then starts back fireing and will not go over 4500...what would this mean,it has a decat..sorry for the hijack :icon_eyes:
[/quote]

Your new down pipe has freed up the turbo a lot, so that when the turbo spools up faster that she over boosts then fuel cuts then over boost then fuel cuts again! Over boosting would mean that she is pumping more air in and the fueling can't keep up, so she runs lean, which means it runs much hotter and hence a melted piston!

mine hit fuel cut at 4000rpm but it would go again and then hesitate when i had it fitted, so i just reset the ecu and its fine up to 5000rpm i just checked to see was it okay, i dont drive it any higher than 4000rpm in the revs until its mapped. if its only happening since you fitted the decat ,then take the positive off the battery for 30 mins and see will it be okay then, thats wont get rid of the problem fully so i would advise that you take it handy and get it mapped its bad to be hitting fuel cut.

best thing to do is get it checked out by a mechanic it might not be fuel cut, it could be your maf sensor :ponder:

Back