Painting an Intercooler surround...

Mark Cahill

Full ISDC Members 2015Member Number 555
Looking at the surround on my standard intercooler this morning and there were bits of rust in places. Have it taken off now to paint but just wanting to know, 1. Do i just sand to bare metal were the rust is? Or the whole thing? Its balck now and going to spray it black again. 2. Do i have to spray primer on it first? 3. Should i use a high temperature paint? :thumbsup:

Cheers lads!

you need primer mark but make sure its stuff that will stick to metal.....
fooked up my grills by using a sh1t primer!!!!
get high temp paint also coz it defo gets hot in there!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've just refurb a sti 7/8 intercooler
i used high temp paint and clear lacquer
didn't use any primer

intercooler004.jpg

If your using primer it has to be high temp primer, cause otherwise it dont matter how good the paint is the primer will lift and take the paint with it.

Personally I'd take the whole thing back to the metal and use just high temp paint (as it doesn't need primer) and if you want it shinny then get high temp laquer :thumbsup:

[quote author=Scoobymaniac link=topic=13596.msg169252#msg169252 date=1237417081]
If your using primer it has to be high temp primer, cause otherwise it dont matter how good the paint is the primer will lift and take the paint with it.

Personally I'd take the whole thing back to the metal and use just high temp paint (as it doesn't need primer) and if you want it shinny then get high temp laquer :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Yeah done it today! Sanded it all back, used the high temp metal primer then 2 coats of high temp black paint and 2 coats of lacquer. :thumbsup:

Back