b4 solinoid box

northdublin

Petrolheads
this mornin i took out the solinoid box with the intention of cleaning it and around it. one thing i noticed was my boost gauge is piped into hose 12, is this the right hose?
the only reason i ask is i read somewhere ages ago that it should go onto no11. as far as i know the boost gauge is workin fine but only when the car is moving. if i rev the engine when stationary it moves a bit but settles again. is this the norm or should i be looking into this further.
have to say cleaning the solinoid box was handy. but what i cant understand is why they have the hoses going into the solinoid box the way it is. the hoses from the engine side connect onto a set of plastic nipples mounted to the solinoid box which mirror a set of niples on the internal side of the box. these could be easlily damaged or broken and seems pointless to me as they are just sraight trough connectors. i can only think that its doen that way to make taking out the solinoid box easier.
anyway if ye have any imput on the boost gauge thing let me know :thumbsup:

thats the norm for the boost guage and if it ant broke dont fix it is my tip for the day

thanks lads, left it as is. :thumbsup:
on the subject of solinoids can they be replaced with aftermarket ones or are they specific to a perticular engine, ie ej20.
i noticed on some of the solinoids on the b4 that they have a cap or blank on one of the outlets, does this mean that its a 3 port but only 2 ports are being used? or is what im calling a blank part of the overall workings of the solinoid.

the plastic nipples are just for ease of removing, the little cap on the third cap on the solenoid is a filter(vented to atmosphere). just be carefull while cleaning to remove the filters, as all the crap your cleaning out gets clogged in them :subaru:

[quote author=RS-RA link=topic=13388.msg166123#msg166123 date=1236544782]
the plastic nipples are just for ease of removing, the little cap on the third cap on the solenoid is a filter(vented to atmosphere). just be carefull while cleaning to remove the filters, as all the crap your cleaning out gets clogged in them :subaru:
[/quote]
thanks lad......i did remove them when cleaning :thumbsup: the boost gauge is now reading completely differant to what it was prior to the cleaning. the car is not boosting as much but is much more smooth and constant, before there was a good bit of lag then a whosh of power but now seems just as quick with less lag. im 99 % sure this is from cleaning the solinoids and 1 % thinks i forgot to do something or put a hose in the wrong place but i double checked eerything using a diagram i haveso i think im safe enough.

if you left a hose off you'd know about it :doh:, what boost are you reaching now primary/secondary

[quote author=RS-RA link=topic=13388.msg166150#msg166150 date=1236547029]
if you left a hose off you'd know about it :doh:, what boost are you reaching now primary/secondary
[/quote]

tbh i havent had a good run where i can bost it fully, any drivin ive done since yesterday ive had the baby in the car so was just potterin along. when idle its well below the zero mark, while potting along it moves between 0.5 and 0. then on the primary ied say its between 0.5 and 0.75 and on the secondary at full whack about 1- 1.1
before the cleaning it was 0.9 on the primary and for 1.1- 1.4 on the secondary.

i'd say he has at least a decat and a map for that boost. need to get readings for what its making now thou

I cleaned my ones the other day thinking they might be affecting boost levels because my B4 (1999) boosts 0.8 and 1.3/1.4ish. But didn't affect them at all, still getting the same levels. No mods as far as I know, the lad that owned it before me brought it in himself and didn't do anything to it.

[quote author=B4 soon link=topic=13388.msg167066#msg167066 date=1236766969]
Standard Be5 boost is .8 primary and 1.0-1.1 secondary
[/quote]

No, its 0.6 and 0.8 like said above when the car is standard.

Mine is 0.6 - 0.9. Different for each gear though. 0.4 - 0.6 for 1st and 2nd,
0.5 - 0.8 for 3rd & 4th and 0.6 in 5th.
I have said this before and no one seemed too think it was too strange. I hope opinions aint changed. :ponder: :question:

Could be wrong in this and open to correction but boost can vary in hot and cold temperatures as the air is denser in cold. The map would be designed for 4th gear so 0.6 and 0.8 in 4th would be right or at least thats what i would expect. You wont make as much boost in lower gears and 5th is slightly longer so you may get slightly more boost. In saying that john, your's has already been remapped with the zero sports ecu so it is not a factory map.

True enough robbie,
It could be done for the way the person in the rising sun who had it before me. So mine prob aint the best one too judge on. :thumbsup:

Well mine has been mapped and Dave had the car for a day while he done the clutch and he didn't seem to think there was anything wrong. Either way, its boosting nicely and safely so I'm :multijump:

[quote author=RoB4 link=topic=13388.msg167101#msg167101 date=1236776942]
Well mine has been mapped and Dave had the car for a day while he done the clutch and he didn't seem to think there was anything wrong. Either way, its boosting nicely and safely so I'm :multijump:
[/quote]

Ye, there is nothing wrong with yours Rob, it will boost safely to your levels because yours has been remapped by Bob, it is not still running a factory map. Sure mine boosts to 1.1 on primary and 1.5 on secondary since i brought bob over myself to map the car. As standard out of the factory the cars are 0.6 and 0.8.

[quote author=nic spec c link=topic=13388.msg167148#msg167148 date=1236784522]
Hi Robbie it thought you got mapped with Bob thru Dave :ponder2:
[/quote]

No, the deal had nothing at all to do with dave. It was privately organised between myself and Bob, no other party was involved. Bob remapped my car along with Mark's (B4-RSK) and Mark's (Markobucko) all together. He's an absolute gentleman to deal with and he spent well over 2 hours on each car to get the maps exactly right and all 3 of us are delighted with the results. We have all made extremely good gains and the difference in the cars is unreal. We managed to get 1.5bar out of mine so i was chuffed to bits. Its like driving a new car now.

Back