NEWAGE 6SPD BOX AND CLUTCH QUESTION? ONE FOR THE SCOOBY EXPERT

KENC

ISDC Club Member
Rite heres the thing, ive been paying attention lately to various clutch specs, now the one thing that stands out is that the newage is able for so much more torque as standard, ive kinda figured out that a basic stage 1 exedy kit and flywheel should hold 500ftlbs on a new age and to get a clutch to do this on a classic without robbing a bank again! you would have to get a non user friendly clutch for everyday driving whereas the newage would have near standard feel to it with a stage 1.
I know that new age clutch and flywheel are different to classic and wont fit, but can anyone tell me exact reasons that they dont fit? and more importantly can it be modified to fit in to a classic with standard classic box?
If it could be done i thought it be a great big power comfortable affordable clutch alternative :thumbsup:

Newage models have a dual mass flywheel, Classics have a solid one,
so this may have something to do with it.... dual mass one is much thicker.

new age and classic solid flywheel.

230mm on later classics/new age wrx's. 240mm on new age 6 speeds

so is this only diffeence, can it fit and work in a classic?

heard the excedys do leave a harsh pedal to drive with as an everyday car.....
would that be right???
obviously the dual mass will give you a smoother takeup of power!!!
:dontknow: :dontknow:

@555scooby

haven't seen otherwise...

@markobucko

exedy organic clutches drive and feel as your standard one.

@ken c

never tried fit wise so honestly can't answer.

the newer 03 on legacy gt jdms use a push type clutch system using a 240mm disc in their 5 speed gearboxes.

you can use the 6 speed 240mm clutch and flywheel on a five speed box with afive speed starter :thumbsup:

Lads were getting somewhere now :icon_grin: sweetcakes and rs-ra have you done this succesfully? and if it can be done isnt this a real good idea? can we get more details? If i buy an exedy clutch, presure plate, trust bearing and exedy flywheel for say a 03 sti 6spd. can i fit it straight into my classic withouth problems????

[quote author=KENC link=topic=13272.msg163799#msg163799 date=1236041893]
Lads were getting somewhere now :icon_grin: sweetcakes and rs-ra have you done this succesfully? and if it can be done isnt this a real good idea? can we get more details? If i buy an exedy clutch, presure plate, trust bearing and exedy flywheel for say a 03 sti 6spd. can i fit it straight into my classic withouth problems????
[/quote]

I'm very interested :thumbsup:

Ah lads,this is like all foreplay and no sex :wall: Any more info?? sweet cakes and rs-ra have you done this? is there a number for rs=ra cant see one on trader site :ponder2:

Hi mate,

I havent done this exactly but i am changing my car to full newage 6 speed running gear at the moment so clutch, flywheel and starter along with box, diff, prop, front and rear driveshafts, hubs and brakes. Ciaran (RS-RA) is doing all the work on it cause he's the only person i've dealt with that really knows what he's doing with high performance cars.

I would believe it when ciaran says the clutch and flywheel will go in with a 5 speed starter. I know you can run a 5 speed clutch and flywheel on a 6 speed box so stands to reason that you can use the 6 speed clutch and flywheel with a 5 speed box. :ponder:

You should pm him and remind him about this thread and he'll be able to give you advice on it :thumbsup:

the 5 speed clutch in 6 speed is runnable but will not take power and this lad is looking for oposite.........

from lining up a six speed clutch into a five housing today that i had lying about for scrap in a 1999 impreza the box casing, it fouled against the box casing............. so messing about with filing/grinding casing to fit...

now as i said 03+ legacy runs a 240mm diamiter disk standard so there is obviously a different casing used in that 5 speed box..

[quote author=davelegacy link=topic=13272.msg164913#msg164913 date=1236219280]
the 5 speed clutch in 6 speed is runnable but will not take power and this lad is looking for oposite.........

from lining up a six speed clutch into a five housing today that i had lying about for scrap in a 1999 impreza the box casing, it fouled against the box casing............. so messing about with filing/grinding casing to fit...

now as i said 03+ legacy runs a 240mm diamiter disk standard so there is obviously a different casing used in that 5 speed box..
[/quote]

a guy i went to tec with reckoned he had a ver8 bottom end and clutch in his ver4. reckoned it was straight in. wonder if gearbox casings are different thru the years in the classic. where abouts was it fouling

got pics of it and it seems that some of the webbing in gearbox bell housing cast has to be ground down a bit, nothing major do, but then had few guys saying that this wasnt necessary, so maybe housings can vary on model of boxes????

Back