NCT Wheel "side slip" test?

Richard.D

Sunday Drivers
Hi All,

My car (my00 turbo wagon) is LHD and recently imported from Switzerland. I need to go for an NCT test :(

I found a useful document at http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/6480-0.pdf which outlines the checks made during the test, seems fairly straightforward. But what is a front and rear wheel Side Slip test? They measure only the front and rear RH wheels - I assume it is to ensure the car does not drift to the right?

Other than that, what else can anyone suggest? The car is running a rebuilt engine with same engine/chassis number, FMIC, rotated turbo and a 6MT.

Emissions *should* be OK (it's running a reprogrammed stock ECU and a high flow cat in the mid section), but idle is between 1000-1100rpm (larger throttle body and air leaks); is this a fail?

I'm also running Euro lights, meaning they dip to the left rather than the right; can I fit the dipping strips and pass...or do I need to buy new headlights? Hope not! If yes, best place to buy (or rent!) some cheap?

Thanks!
Richard

Hi Richard,

I think you may need to check the lights, I am not 100% sure.
Singel CAT should be OK for the emmissons, mine pssed with a single in the downpipe section but I think a few cars on this site have not passed with just the mid.
As for the Front and Rear "slip" test, I think this refers to the brakes... someone will tell you for sure. Hope it helps
Anton
:thumbsup:

But what is a front and rear wheel Side Slip test? They measure only the front and rear RH wheels - I assume it is to ensure the car does not drift to the right?

They can't test this on your car as it is AWD and they only have 2WD rollers in the test centre. To test the brakes or slip they put a magic box with accellerometers in it and do a road test. So the guy will take your car out onto the road and drive it a shrt distance and then hit the brakes. This will give him the data he needs. As there is thousands of LHD cars over here I would not think that you would have to change the lights, I reckon a set of adhesive dipping strips from Halfords will sort it.

Best of luck

This is a list of fail items.See the red item below, I think it might be a failure.

Main or Dipped Beams (1) Dipped beams not working simultaneously.
(2) Main beams not working simultaneously.
(3) Not working.
Glass, Bulb and Reflecting Material (4) Intensity obviously weak.
(5) Glass badly cracked or missing.
(6) Reflecting material damaged/discoloured.
Head Lamps (7) Missing.
(8 ) Insecurely mounted.
(9) Contains water / moisture.
Dip or Headlamp Switch (10) Insecurely mounted or missing.
(11) Defective.
Dipped Beam (12) Headlamps dipping to the right.
Colour (13) All lamps. Not white or yellow.
Main Beam Warning Light (14) Not working.

Thanks - I'm hoping Halfrauds dipping strips will be sufficient...even from a breakers I assume new 'lights are gonna'be expensive!

I pass Swiss emissions tests with similar set-ups on all the cars I remapped over there so I guess it will be OK (I just leave it to the ECU), but my build now may have slightly more than 2 litres (;)) and with enalrged TB and MAF being so close to turbo it could be close getting a decent reading....anyone run a garage with a tester in Dublin I can do a quick check on?!

Cheers, Richard

Hey Richard, get some photos up of this car, it sounds................ interesting :shock:

Whereabouts in Dublin are you, its not Rathcoole by any chance?

i had a problem in the garage with a french car had to chage the head lights but on another one they adjusted up perfect get the light level checked in a garage to check before hand

Looks good :thumbsup:

Wet-Fun-quart.jpg

Alan.

most quick fit garages are able to check them with the machine :thumbsup:

Thanks - I got some of these dipping strips for travelling abroad at a motor factors over the weekend. They reckon I'll pass with them fitted. But...the dipping strips are designed for RHD cars to travel on the continent - logic says to me that they bend the beam from left to right. I'm driving a LHD car, so my lights already point to the right. Methinks I need to mount them upside down! I'll try a quick fit place to test.

Also got a larger from number plate - I fitted a motorcycle one when i arrived (bumper is stripped around FMIC), but it's too small. NCT list also says 1.6mm of tread is required across the inside 75% of tyre. Very good news, my Pirelli P Zero's have still got 4-5mm. However, they are street legal slicks - I assume no-one has had a problem with them over here?

Cheers, Richard
PS: that picture is very old, but it was a great day (wet airfield)!

Bugger - failed :) Emmissions...lambda is OK, HC is OK (but pretty low), CO is too high.

So, means I finally need to fix the problems that have existed since I put the new motor/turbo config in; move MAF further away from turbo compressor blade to improve throttle transients, and put some better injectors in (current ones are pretty lumpy - assume they need a clean).

I've moved the MAF further away already - much, much better to drive now (so why didn't I do it before? Lazy :D). And I've got a new set of injectors to fit this weekend. Then need to redo the fueling maps (hate it!), and hopefully things will be better.

I also need to get the headlights and tracking adjusted - is there anywhere in Dublin that can adjust tracking and headlights, and do an emissions check for me?

Thanks, Richard

SCRUFF'S NCT

Hi scruff just wondering about what you said there, ive never heard of any scooby being brought in for nct and being drove on the road by an nct operative, ive had 3 in.. 1 wrx classic ..1sti classic and 1 bugeye wrx and that has never been done,
why do you say they cant test sideslip on AWD???? is side slip not a test of ball joints and bushes done when car is on lift over there head and being ripped from side to side???? it would have no bearing on this test if car is awd rwd or fwd.
The brakes are not tested ON MACHINE on AWD.
Was your car drove for that test on road??? cause if it was i would have serious concern about insurance cover?? and if the nct fella even had a licence??? i think you may have been
MAYB THE GUY JUST LIKED THE LOOK OF YOUR MOTOR AND WANTED A BLAST IN IT :angry:

I brought a 4WD sierra cossie in for nct a few years back and they put a meter of some kind
on the floor in front of the passenger seat and drove the car up and down a road inside the nct
compound. Braking hard every time.

Freakn hell :shock:.. was talking to Damo tonight and he said the same :shock:.. but i never seen them do that at my local NCT centre, they just run it through the test lane, out the door and park it :ponder: maybe you should all come to Wexford for your nct :lol:

Mine was tested on numerous occarions.

Brake test consisted of driving about 20 yards and breaking- no problem passing herte.

Lights were originally set as lhd and beam was easily changed to rhd settings. - just little screwes on insibe.

Omissions :wall: :wall: :wall:- Cartorque in Clane can check and sort out problem.Can highly recomend.Give Ian a ring 045893718 and he should be able to sort out.

NCT basically is a farce - enough said.

Hope above helps.

:smokin:

Thanks All.

Emissions should now be fine; injectors sorted rough idle, moving MAF further from turbo compressor fixed transient issues. But lambda sensor is now getting lazy, so will fit a new one prior to re-test.

Headlights - tried adjustments using Kwikfit headlight measurement tool; no way can I adjust it out. New (2nd hand) headlights ordered.

Side slip - tracking basically. When I swapped from coilovers to stock suspension to deal with crap Dublin roads, I didn't get tracking checked. Sorted now via Kwikfit.

Re-test booked for a week Saturday.

Just a note on the brake test - they are supposed to take AWD vehicles out on the road according to their instructions. They don't at Deans Garage! I shouted the place down and stopped him when he put front wheels on the brake rollers - he said don't worry, he'll do it quick and the centre diff will take it. Still not the best for the centre diff though :O Didn't complain as to his credit he spent 10 minutes trying the get the damned thing run clean on emissions!

Cheers, Richard

Back