under bonnet detailing

northdublin

Petrolheads
carriying over from the underbonnet cleaning thread i have some questions about painting some of the metal work under the bonnet for the sake of aesthetics and to make it easier to clean. in perticular the brackets that hold the intercooler and the brackets and tensioners around the altenator.
when i clean these parts what should i do prior to painting them. can you buy panel wipes and primer in the likes of halfords.
on the parts that are allready painted should i remove all the paint or just scuff them with a light grade sand paper prior to priming them.

Ideally you should get them shot blasted, primed then painted. Otherwise just give them all a good wire brushing/ degreasing and prime and paint. Should do the job.... :thumbsup:

thanks richie......i dont know anyone who has a shot blaster and im plannin on doin this in a day cause i need the car off the road for as little a time as posible. so ill get a bench set up beside the car and polish the stuff as i remove it from the car. when i have everything off that i can ill clean the parts i cant take out.
on a differant topic, the pvc cover that covers the v belt pulleys that says 2.0 ltr boxer, is that there for aesthetics or does it serve a function like protect the pulleys. it bolts on with 2 size 10 bolts and one of the tabs where you bolt it down is broke, could i remove this or would not having it there do damage. the only reason i can think off is to stop yer tie or sleve catching in it while the engine is running.

Back