Oil.

johnjoe64

Petrolheads
Hi Everybody I have a question that I would like to know the answer to are cars and I mean any cars not just Subarus suppose to use a certain amount of engine oil or is the oil just suppose to thin out or will some of it burn of over a period of time Rgs John Lewis.

all engines burn some amount of oil, some more than others. some manufactures allow up to a litre per 1k

legacy's shouldn't burn that much to be honest .pull the dip stick out and take the oil cap off and get someone to give it a rev and if you see smoke or fumes i'd be worried as rs-ra said some cars burn a good bit .depends on the manufacturer vw's drink oil . mileage and services will have a lot to do with it as well .

Hello Lads,

I had a RX-8 for a period of time, they burn oil..... owing to the lubrication of the tips of the blades / rotors :thumbsup:

If you run high boost on your car it can be burnt / spit out from the turbo also :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Michael

Depends on the car, the spec, and the way it's driven.

My brother has a new GTI MK5 and the thing eats oil!

Most new high performance engines have a fairly healthy appetite for oil(AMG Mercs, Any M BMW, Scooby's and Rotary's all spring to mind)

Not really a problem as long as it's checked regularly. Never let it go beyond the in mark on the dipstick...when the light comes on it's too late!!

The oil in my Legacy never seems to have to get topped up between oil changes! Gets checked every Sunday morning but always at its mark! :thumbsup:

[quote author=Mark Cahill link=topic=13186.msg162646#msg162646 date=1235873353]
The oil in my Legacy never seems to have to get topped up between oil changes! Gets checked every Sunday morning but always at its mark! :thumbsup:
[/quote] same as meself

It usually depends on the style of driving. If you keep it reving high it wil eat more oil then usual. That's normal. :smile:

Back