Uh oh!! Funny noise from engine.

gtpeadar

Petrolheads
Mornin all! Left the house ten mins ago for work. Started the car as normal and sat for a min or two. When i drive the car from cold i always take it very gently with no boost until its warmed up. Everythin was grand for a few mins til i pulled off a roundabout and i heard a knocking sound. Pulled in straight away, but decided it was better to head back to the house.

I'm no mechanic and anything i know about my car i've learned from all you guys here :icon_pray:
The car is a bit tappety when cold but this was louder. I instantly thought bye bye engine but its not a deep sounding knock, almost a flappy type of knock that matches engine speed, but definitely a knock. When i got back to the house i popped the bonnet and gave it a bit of a rev and couldn't hear anything nasty. I certainly hope its not fooked but i'm being cautious just in case.

It's not easy to diagnose anything with that description but does anyone have any ideas/suggestions of what it may be?

Thanks

Peadar

Do you have oil pressure gauge? What's the oil pressure on idle when engine`s warm?

When my bearing broke I had only around 1bar oil pressure - and as far as I know it typically is going very low on main bearing problems.
That could maybe tell us some more...

No oil pressure gauge i'm afraid.

After calming down a bit i went back out and checked oil, started it and let it warm up completely. Decided i'd go around the block for a brief (very cautious) spin. It's definitely not an engine problem now thank god. Think it could be a wheel bearing. Not sure how they sound when they're on the way out but there's a knockin sound from the passenger side front which seems more noticable when i let off the accelerator in 2nd or 3rd gear.

My first post was a bit alarmist. Think i'm a bit paranoid seeing as i still havent gotten it remapped and read quite a bit about big ends letting go and the like.

Thanks rudeboy :thumbsup:

Believe me - I know the paranoia :) - after I took the car for a ride after engine rebuild, every single noise made me sweating and nervous ;)

ive just reconed my altenator and when the car was stationary it was giving a knocking noise which turned into a whining noise that matched the engine speed when reved. this might be of use to you. if its matching the engine speed while stationary then its not a cv joint, try reving with the clutch in and out to see if its gearbox.

Thanx northdublin

Definitely somethin to do with the passenger front wheel. Knockin speeds up and slows down with wheel speed and not engine speed. Clutch in or out it still knocks when moving. Seems most noticable when i let off the accelerator in 2nd and 3rd gear.

Parked it up for the weekend and have my mothers car til i get it sorted next week. It's a horribly slow diesel!

Back