Upgrade or not upgrade that is the question!

Altezza-Dan

Octane Boostaholics
so my clutch release bearing is on its way out and is noisey as hell and im getting a bit of a crunching coming through the pedal in certain gear changes. So seems like either way new clutch is needed. Im thinking 2 options:

1. Exedy OEM replacement clutch and bearing ---> cheap option
2. Genuine Subaru clutch and bearing ---> need to check prices
3. Exedy organic stage 1 clutch plus bearing and lightened flyhweel ---> not so cheap

I know it depends on future mods and that put i dont plan on modding past the 350 mark as you would be on the limits of gearbox and engine then. so i think either of the 1st two options? And would like to keep the clutch feel the same as standard, had a twin plate clutch in my Altezza and it was horrible for city driving!

Funds aren't great at the moment so looking for the cheapest reliable option. but then again dont want to be kicking myself down the road for making the wrong choice and needing to upgrade the clutch again!!! oh decisions, decisions!

I'm in the same boat Dan, I'm going down the road of the stage 2 padel clutch (thick) and flywheel, working out about €600 + fitting.

Think though if funds are tight then one of the first 2 options is the way to go, sure it'll last ya over a year anyway and ya can always change it if your finances are better in the future :thumbsup:

If i was in your situation i'd go with option 1

i would hope to get more than a year from a clutch, current one has done near 100K!! What brand are you going for? I want to keep the clutch pedal the same though! I don't fancy getting an enlarged left calf muscle!

:lol: :lol: I'm getting an exedy, which will be a little tougher but not mad, I've a triple plate ceramic in the 95 WRX 2.5 and i got a pain in my hip from it, its vicious!!

The problem with the exedy padel clutches is they wear a lot faster, especially the thin ones, but i'm getting the thick one. The thin is more for race as it has less centrifugal force

just go with the exedy oem replacement, its gonna be basically the same as oem but with a touch of exedy quality, probably be cheaper too

Full classic sti clutch kit from subaru is around 500euro, thats clutch plate, pressure plate, and bearing, if ordering from subaru and it a classic you have, try get a 00 v6 chassis number, i have read that v6 got a stronger clutch,whether that true or not i cant say, i wouldnt bother with an exedy oe replacement i think, but i would go for stage 1 exedy, think they same price as sti original and they are same to use, feel wise, and will hold up to or on 400bhp. be careful wen buying exedys, ebay is hit and miss, i recomend buying from subaru or a trader here :thumbsup:

[quote author=KENC link=topic=13053.msg160552#msg160552 date=1235518646]
Full classic sti clutch kit from subaru is around 500euro, thats clutch plate, pressure plate, and bearing, if ordering from subaru and it a classic you have, try get a 00 v6 chassis number, i have read that v6 got a stronger clutch,whether that true or not i cant say, i wouldnt bother with an exedy oe replacement i think, but i would go for stage 1 exedy, think they same price as sti original and they are same to use, feel wise, and will hold up to or on 400bhp. be careful wen buying exedys, ebay is hit and miss, i recomend buying from subaru or a trader here :thumbsup:
[/quote]

its a new shape legacy i have Ken! thanks for the advice, will defo buy from dealer/trader to be safe. I dont plan on seeing 400bhp either!

Back