Steering lock

keith dublin

Member Number 161Full ISDC Members 2015
Need a new one halfords are selling a few, anyone know if they are any good think they are made by disclock.

To b honest i find the only 1 i'd use is the 1 that goes over ur handbrake and on2 ur gear knob i had an integra and a lock that went on2 d top of d wheel and over d top of d dash and when d car got broke in2 they used the steering lock 2 snap the steering

I spent 70 on mine I think. Its really more of a deterrant. If they are just looking for a car to joy ride they will take the one next to yours with no steering lock!! What alarm have you got?

yeah wasnt thinking of the air-bag. so if ya wanna keep air-bag disclok is the best.

George

[quote author=b4heaven link=topic=1453.msg12599#msg12599 date=1170778951]
To b honest i find the only 1 i'd use is the 1 that goes over your handbrake and on2 your gear knob i had an integra and a lock that went on2 d top of d wheel and over d top of d dash and when d car got broke in2 they used the steering lock 2 snap the steering
[/quote]

you an take the handrake/gearstick lock off in about 10secs if you have a bit of practice so they really arent a deterrent.

George

a good old fashioned thick chain around the steering wheel tied to the pedals is the best. I was told this by a person who used to rob cars when he was young and stupid.

I've a disk lock, Greatjob. Can be seen from a good distance so Is a good deterant. Impossible to drive with it too and impossible to remove.
Cheers
John

Personnally i think u cant go wrong with a pad lock and chain. Run it around under ur seat and through the small gap in ur steering wheel.

Cheers Anton think thats the one i will go for, was gonna go for the snap off wheel but i might need that airbag some day :wall:

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=1453.msg12616#msg12616 date=1170783806]
a good old fashioned thick chain around the steering wheel tied to the pedals is the best. I was told this by a person who used to rob cars when he was young and stupid.
[/quote]

i was told the very same thing a few years ago and when i 1st got my scooby i had 2 yes 2 chains on my steering wheel(before i got the clifford) I also took the fusible link out from the fuse box every night. I got woke up one morning at 5am by the gards. they had broken into the car cut both of the chains(they were proper heavy chains too) probably with a big bolt cutters, also the bonnet was up and fuse box cover was off so they knew exactly what they were up to, also they must have had an ignition pullers as they broke the centre out of the ignition rather than have to break the steering lock. i was blessed a neighbour was awake and called the gards otherwise i probably wouldnt have the car now.

A chain is perfect if your trying to deter the usual 14-15year old little bastards but if any of the real boys want your car its useless.

anyway i got a new ignition and got the clifford fitted. exactly a week later they took my sitting roon window out and searched all downstairs for the keys. luckily i had them upstairs with me even though the blackjax would have only given them 30secs in the car i still dont like the thoughts of the pigs being in it.

fitted the snap-off and got a tracker and hasnt been touched since(well up until the engine went)

my advice is get a clifford and if you wanna keep air-bag get a disclok(just as a detterrent). that way if they break into your house and take your keys at least you'll get your car back because of the blackjax.

George

[quote author=GT performance link=topic=1453.msg12658#msg12658 date=1170801023]
[quote author=AndyC link=topic=1453.msg12616#msg12616 date=1170783806]
[/quote]

i was told the very same thing a few years ago and when i 1st got my scooby i had 2 yes 2 chains on my steering wheel(before i got the clifford) I also took the fusible link out from the fuse box every night. I got woke up one morning at 5am by the gards. they had broken into the car cut both of the chains(they were proper heavy chains too) probably with a big bolt cutters, also the bonnet was up and fuse box cover was off so they knew exactly what they were up to, also they must have had an ignition pullers as they broke the centre out of the ignition rather than have to break the steering lock. i was blessed a neighbour was awake and called the gards otherwise i probably wouldnt have the car now.

A chain is perfect if your trying to deter the usual 14-15year old little bastards but if any of the real boys want your car its useless.

anyway i got a new ignition and got the clifford fitted. exactly a week later they took my sitting roon window out and searched all downstairs for the keys. luckily i had them upstairs with me even though the blackjax would have only given them 30secs in the car i still dont like the thoughts of the pigs being in it.

fitted the snap-off and got a tracker and hasnt been touched since(well up until the engine went)

my advice is get a clifford and if you wanna keep air-bag get a disclok(just as a detterrent). that way if they break into your house and take your keys at least you'll get your car back because of the blackjax.

George
[/quote]

I have a big heavy chain and a clifford fitted, The chain is for peace of mind really and a visual deturent from the little bastards that dont really know what there doing. I also like the bright blue led light on the clifford, but if they really want ur car they will take it. Just glad i havent heard any of the breaking into houses storys on this web site.

Dont c to many houses with garages in dublin these days, most have been convereted to add 100k to the value of the house

Back