New legacy owner!(Now with pic)

D

dar

Hi hows it going,
the name is darren,from dublin, recently bought a 1997 legacy rs saloon,tis a nice car, am having some problems with it,so hopefully ill have it sorted very soon!!
not a good way to start subaru ownership!! haha
Thanks
Darren

Re: New legacy owner!

Hiya Darren, welcome aboard. You'll get plenty of advice on here :thumbsup: someone will put you in the right direction regarding your problems - once you share with us what they are of course :D

haha,
well last saturday i was coming home from a night club about 3am and i was the designated driver but sitting outside the nightclub waiting for everyone to come out..let the car warm up..sitting there about 30 mins ticking over..drove up the belgard road taking it easy,turned onto the naas road and gave it a bit of a boot,brought her up to 130kmh,then eased off and when i went to put power back down there was none,it was bogging down,dropped into 3rd and no drive..looked out my back window to see cloudssss of smoke belowing out the exhaust,pulled straight over,no knocking or anything like that..presumed it must of been the turbo,so pulled the intercooler off and inspected the 2 turbos for play in the shaft etc after hours of fiddling with bloody exhauist bolts,no play in either turbo but alot of oil on the passenger side turbo(vf18) and alot of oil in the cat of the exhaust,ive replaced the turbo with one ive got from mckeevers but when i told him he reckonded it could be a hole in the piston but it looks like there is water in the oil aswell in the exhaust which would think it would be the turbo seals,letting water and oil thru,ive put the car back together again and am going to put the intercooler back on 2moro and fire her up,
what does everyone thnk of this?
woahh what a post..haha
sorry!!

Dar... Welcom along to the club :thumbsup:  i have no idea whats up but i am sure you will get some help on tihis site  :subaru:

welcome along mate sorry 2 hear bout ur troubles did u buy d black legacy that was on carzone

well yeah but it was my brothers car so done a bit of a brotherly deal with him :D haha

serious? why ya think that?
there should be only oil in the exhaust then no?.. ive got oil and water?
Time will tell,
Car is after immobilising itself so cant start it,have to wait for an auto electrician to come 2moro

by sounds of sudden power loss and clouds of smoke......... been there twice in my early years......... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

yeah true,
but oil gettin sucked into the intercooler would cause loss of power aswell wouldnt it? and clouds of smoke is just oil burning out the exhaust,im trying to make reasons for it not to be the pistons..haha,

no that would generally put gunky in the oil cap and dipstick,
will start it 2moro and see if there is suction on the oil cap..im told this is a good test if the piston is gone,that and a compression test!

see if the oil breather pipe has blown off???????? at back of manifold............ you'll see loads of oil all over place.......

being on 3 cylinders be good giveaway too..................

don't run her for long....

quick start up

had a look at the driver side turbo,no oil,took the passenger side turbo off on thursday and there was oil everywere, no play in the shaft of the turbo but could be seals,the car seems to be running alright tho,idles not too bad for a car with oil everywere..had it started for a brief period on thursday before we took the turbo off, if it is the piston what would i be better off doing?..im not bothered doing it myself,replace the whole engine or?
Not a good start to the subaru ownership,
I wouldnt mind but the car has only been on the road a few weeks,surely 95 octane couldnt melt pistons that quick?haha sorry about all the questions haha
Thanks alot
Darren

Back