When should you check oil

Niallyboy

Petrolheads
Lads what is the best time to check the oil levels in your cars engine.

I ask because the lovely bucket of sh*t Audi A6 im driving at present
drinks OIL ........ I dip the oil every 2 weeks and there's not a drop
on the dip stick and subsequently fill her with 1 / 2 ltrs of oil .

What im afraid of is that i'll end up putting too much oil in and end up doing
more damage.

So should i only dip for oil after she's been parked up all night or
whem im at a petrol station (so car has been driven).

Is the engine really drinking that much ???? or is it the case that the oil is working it's way
around the engine and when i dip for oil im getting a false empty readding.

There is no oil leak :ponder: :ponder:

Niall.

i'd say dip it when cold and all the oil has setteled in the sump .but hey i could be wrong

i take it that your car is a diesel.with under r just over 100,000 on the clock if so this is common prob more so on the a4 the the turbo is lifting the oil.use to do the recall work on audi's and vw :angry1:.

You should start the car leave it running for a couple of minutes so it just warmed up and then check it

Nope she's a standard 1.8 ltr Petrol engine with Auto Box
and 5 cyilders pushing out about ...................75 bhp down hill
and about 48 up hill :icon_rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes:

Oh ya , she has 178,000 miles on her ............... & she's sporty , with lovely curves :wall: :wall:

I take it she's prob just drinking the oil ??

Thanks Dagnut !!

Niall.

i would say without looking at that yes it burning the oil out the exhaust so more than likely its rings. is that an ajp engine codes on the timing cover

Niall,

I just had a conversation about oil consumption at the weekend with a mate of mine.

He has just bought a C63 AMG and it absolutely devours oil. He has to put 1 litre in every 750 miles!! It even says that you must do this in the handbook. On top of all that he has to use AMG branded oil, so it is not cheap stuff. I would have a look at the handbook of your car and see what it recommends but it sounds as if it is burning oil.

Cheers

Alan

The best time to check oil is first thing in the morning when its all settled. You can get a false reading when trying to check it warm if the engine hasn't been run for long enough, then left to settle long enough.

Best time to change the oil is when its warm/hot as it flows easier and takes and dirt with it.

1-2ltrs every 2 weeks is a lot, In a non-turbo car its either a leak (which you said its not) or its burning it. The only ways it can be getting into the combustion chamber is either valve stem oil seals or piston rings. With the level of consumption i'd guess the piston rings have cracked.

High rev's will consume a bit of oil, but unless the manual says this level of consumption is normal there is a problem.

As above Niall-leave her on the level and check when cold. If you dip it after running it the oil will have circulated and will take a little time to settle back into the sump. At 178k its entitled to burn a bit-prob worn piston rings-get someone to drive behind you and give it a good drive-tell them to watch for blue smoke-thats burning oil.

Back