alloy wheel problem?

BlackScooby

Petrolheads
hey all.. i have a problem with my new alloys, there 18" rays tyre size is 235/40/18 i put them on my 94 wrx and last night there catchin the arches really bad.. on a 5 mile stretch of road they caught over 50 times!! :icon_sad: they appear to be wider than the car.. is there anything i can do with the suspension to stop this or will i have to change them again?? any help appreciated.. :thumbsup:

Dave

thought 235 would be too wide for a classic impreza!!!!
is the suspension all standard???
what offset are the wheels???
:ponder2: :ponder2:

"Wheels will be fine but the tyres are way to big for the car man.

I think the biggest size you can get away with is a 225 40 R18 tyre and rolled arches on a classic but it's best to run 215 40 18 I think.

Lads that have 18" on their cars will be along shortly to let you know what they have but I can defo say that there is no way you'll run 235 on a classic. Thats the Biggest size a new age will run on.

If no one gets back to you PM Dave at STi tuning or Richie in Proparts and they let you know for sure.

thanks eric.. will get tyres changed soon.. i love da wheels and dont really want to change them..

@markobucko the suspension is totally standard.. the wheels came off tommym car which is a classic, not sure if his arches are wider tho.. dont have a clue of da offset on them.. i have seen 18 on a good few classics so just assumed they would fit :doh:

there the same wheels as mine, 215/35/18 are the tyres you want.
were them tyres on the wheels? if they were, his car had the wider arches.
whats your suspension set up?

I'm running 215/35/18 without any problems, you should get away with 215/40/18 no probs but i wouldn't go any bigger than that man :thumbsup:

cheers lads hopefully they wont catch with them.. even tho my 17" used to catch if i hit a really hard bump.. should i lower it to stiffin up the suspension a bit?? :ponder:

What size where your 17's??

Remember that 215/35/18 - the 35 = 35% aspect ratio of the width, so its 35% of 215mm

205/50/16 have an overall diameter of 611.37mm
215/35/18 have an overall diameter of 607.56mm (They are actually smaller overall even though they are 18's)

Adjusting the Damping (Stiffness) might help, but the way to avoid the rubbing when you hit bumps is to adjust the pre-load so the suspension won't bottom out as easily. I know your suspension is probably rubbing before it bottoms out so the damping adjustment might be a better way to go.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

I don't think the standard suspension has damping adjustment. Cutting the spring or getting smaller springs will lower the ride height as well as stiffen the damping but you don't want to lower it.

215/45/17 have a diameter of 625.09mm

and as i said above the 215/35/18 are only 607.56mm

So the 18's would be smaller, you might just get away with it without having to adjust anything :thumbsup:

well i kinda wana have 215/40 under her cause the roads we have are tyre busting happy!!! just wonderin weither to go back down to 17"...hey can u pm me your number i think i lost it, just so i can contact you on thursday for the exhaust! :thumbsup:

Well 215/40/18 will be 629.15mm which will be slightly larger than your 17's @ 625.09mm

So they'll defo rub on the bumps :icon_cry: I run 35's and on the standard suspension they're not bad at all, if you like your 18's then its a tough call, get smaller tyres or go back to 17's

well i really love the wheels, i will try and post pics tomorrow for ye and let me know wat ye think.. thanks for da help mate chat to ya soon :thumbsup:

Back