Modding WRX... worth it or waste of money ?

Fathertedc

Sunday Drivers
Well the recession is here and the plans to change the motor are on hold. Should I do some modding on my bugeye WRX(jdm).
Already have a Decatted Blitz on her and she had been Ecutekked and a Walbro pump..
Got new 18" on her last week
Was lookin at maybe a turbo upgrade but wondered should i just holdout

If you can afford a new turbo FMIC,and re-map go for it.....you would probably pick up a turbo at a good price,and Flat4online have FMIC for sale really cheap at the moment..... :icon_headbang: :icon_headbang: :icon_headbang:

I reckon it comes down to €€€€'s
You could buy a new bigger Turbo (maybe TD05 16g / 18g) for a bout €1,000
you will need a re-map (or just a tweak in your case)

Im not too sure what is the max output for a WRX engine before needing to upgrade the internals
but im sure someone will :icon_grin:

Anyway for about €1500 aprox , you would have a faster car !!

Or as Scoobyke has posted go down the whole FMIC,TURBO,INJECTORS,Fuel Pressure Regulator,OIL Catch Tank,
New Hoses...................there's prob a few more bits you might need but all that will get you plenty of Horses's

Niall.

A bugeye WRX has a TD04 turbo i think......... :ponder2: not much difference between
that an a VF28 turbo.................

Emm that said i could be wrong , im trying to remember what size turbo is a VF28 :ponder2: :ponder2:
Davelegacy could tell you for sure might be no harm to drop him a mail

Niall.

IMO dnt waist your money, i bought a o1 bugeye wrx before with the front mount and tdo5 turbo upgrade, stainless exhaust, remap, the whole works and sorry to say it was use less to go, biggest mistake i ever made, i couldnt see any difference than a standard one tbo, i sold my 00 v6 sti 4dr that only was mapped for 95, green panel filter, pump, and exhaust.. and it would slaughter the bugeye even do it had bigger blower, i made some mistake with it, it was mapped for lucas booster and had two maps in ecu, one was say 1 bar and other was 1.4 or something, and i couldnt see any difference, a standard sti classic would be a lot quicker, with the bugeye being so heavy and imo the wrx engine not been half its sti brothers, it just a bad combo. Sorry mate. but thats just my opinion

KENC , your reply is appreciated. I actually wanted to hear from people who had tried it.. might keep the cash so

if i were you id buy that one that the hen is selling ,the black one and then sell your one on cheap just to sell it,for the price of mods and a remap you could have a newer car with more power for the same money

It really hard to beat starting with an sti, the wrx just dont respond aswell to tunning. I think if you went and spent more money you would just be dissapointed,your talking about 1200 euro for any new turbo that will sray going, 500 for fmic, induction kit if you dont have one already 200 to 300, maybe an adj press reg around 200. and the map prob 500 or something like tha

Davelegacy did a newage Wrx recently that he was very happy with, Around 330bhp i think!
Discuss your options and see what you think,
To be sure, an STI is a better starting place, But that's not the question you asked,
Have fun modding! :thumbsup:
Dan

I wouldnt say that was on standard heads or block do Dan, would they stick that power? that be like @120bhp increase. Be like an sti engine running @390bhp

scoobyke has 366 in his classic uk turbo. :icon_headbang:

thats impressive imo. :clap:

nice bit off work done but nothing major regarding changing off blocks i dont think. :ponder2:

[quote author=KENC link=topic=12642.msg155011#msg155011 date=1234314195]
I wouldnt say that was on standard heads or block do Dan, would they stick that power? that be like @120bhp increase. Be like an sti engine running @390bhp
[/quote]

ken, car has standard heads and block its ian wrx car and has plenty of power :thumbsup:

Well if thats the power, and she on standard rods,pistons, cams, heads etc etc... thats a really good acomplishment :clap: :thumbsup:

Yes IAN WRX's car is class ...............no doubt about it :thumbsup:
Seen her a few times and at the RR in CDA , very impressive !!!

I must admit i just persumed the internals had been done .......very nice BHP/Torque figures !!!!

KENC ..................I had a classic shape then a Bugeye and back to classic shape again :icon_grin: :icon_grin:
So i see the point your making.......... but a Classic STI and a Bugeye WRX are two completely different cars , from the
chassis right down to the wheel nutt's

A standard classic STI would leave a Standard Bugeye STI for dead in a straight line ,........... (it wouldn't even come close)
but over a few nice twists and turns , bumps and dips , you would find nothing in the difference .

So you can only imagine , what a Classic STI would do to a Bugeye WRX .........(modded or not....................well depending on the mods that is :icon_grin: )

Niall.

No messing or not making this up, i had a v6 sti4dr at one stage and was at a friends garage, never forget it, he had a silver, nice looking bugeye for sale, i thought it looked nice, and he said bring her for a spin, drove up road and im sorry to say, that i actually thought it was a 2.0 na. and not a turbo, i thought that some one had went and bought all turbo bits, i was so convinced i pulled over and checked to see had it 4 pots, and when i seen them i still wasnt convinced, and i poped the hud and there she was, litle top mount, i couldnt beleive the difference.. the difference in build quality, interior and extras in new age stuff compared to classics is amazing, but unfortunetly you suffer the weight. sti new age are a beautiful car and some nice cheap styling bits out there now, id rekon 350bhp in one would make up nicely for weight difference. very good engine compared to classic aswell, not 10% of big end popers that classics suffer i would think

From what I have experianced in the past!
The weight difference makes a hugh difference
Eg. My forester was running 380bhp, which would be the same as a 350bhp newage, 330bhp spec c, 315bhp classic and probably about 300bhp type r
The new age is a different car to the classic, more grown up
Dan

Back