Driving without maf sensor connected - bad idea?

zaphy

Sunday Drivers
Howdy howdy,

My legacy is acting the maggot at the moment - cutting out power at random times (lovely and terrifying when turning off a main road). I checked the cel codes and it's for maf sensor so im guessing thats the problem.

I can't get a hold of one till monday at least, but i have to drive it this evening. Was reading around the t'internet there and it looks like unplugging the maf sensor should for the moment have her running better than right now. I'd give it a shot but am worried it'll cause untold havoc if I do - any ideas if it'll do any damage?

Cheers

Well all i can tell ya is that i unplugged mine for about a week when mine went, while waiting for a new one. The check engine light will remain on if you unplug it. I just took it easy no hard acceleration and keep it below around 3,000rpm.

AFAIK it will run rich rather than lean while in safe mode but some people say it will run lean which could cause damage, but my 97 sti type-r was grand.

I cant imagine why it'd run lean considering that with the maf gone you've higher than normal fuel consumption which tells me its running rich not lean. But i'm open to correction on this.

Hope it helps :thumbsup:

Cheers loads for that I'll chance giving it a go.

It's either that or chug along in fits and starts and risking my life at every turnoff! I'll just keep the foot light for a bit then.

I'll let ya know how it goes anyways

I know what ya mean, I've been there. The car just chugs when ya go to pull out or turn in to a road and your left in the middle of the road for a few secs, NOT NICE :new_puppy_dog_eyes:

But when I unplugged mine the irregular idle was still there but the car didn't stall or chug at all until over 3-4rpm, but its not recommended to go high in the revs anyway with it unplugged.

Yeah do let us know how it goes anyway man :thumbsup:

Well after a weekend of normal driving happy to report she works away grand without the maf connected. Inclined to stall alright when idling but otherwise drives away grand, kept the revs well down the whole time anyway just in case. I did notice though that it was eating through fuel so I'd be inclined to agree with Scoobymaniac on the lean/rich question.

Oh yeah she's a 96 GT-B northdublin.

Back