MAF or what ???

Codders

Member Number 162Full ISDC Members 2015
Was driving from Rally Ireland back to Cork and at half way it started.
Whenever I want to accelerate and floor the pedal, it goes up to 4rpm then choke and struggle for a while then gain the boost and at 5.5rpm the same situation again .
if I accelerate slowly (not flooring it) then it goes up smoothly no prob.
The engine on idle is stable and you can rev it as well. It happens usually on 3,4 or 5th gear. :dontknow:
My Type-R is running on Apexi power fc it has induction kit by RC motorsport as there is no place for original airbox because of FMIC installed.

any ideas lads?
Is there anyone in Cork that could diagnose it?

please help :pray:

:ponder2: :ponder2: It kinda sounds like MAF but that would normally have an irregular idle too. Have you had a CEL come on? Then you could have it diagnosed.

To be honest I'm not sure and don't wanna give you the wrong advice mate.

maybe plug leads or coilpacks, dont think youd do much driving with the maf gone, i didnt anyway.
get a simtek :icon_grin:

bring it out to mark murphy motors in douglas or ring um up and explain to the lad what the trouble is and he should be able to tell ya what it could be....0214894839....

[quote author=JOHNNY T link=topic=12432.msg151363#msg151363 date=1233582403]
bring it out to mark murphy motors in douglas
[/quote]
Like an ISDC mini meet out there today :subaru:
was your car parked at the end of the yard Johnny?
Hope ya get it sorted codders!she sounded VERY lazy on start up :dontknow:

I think the battery is on its way. When I returned home after a month, it was completely flat.

Yes there was a mini meet today in MMM alright :subaru:

Spoke to the boss and he needs to look closer to diagnose it. It can be many things like fuel pump, MAF on its way :dontknow:
I have to leave it someday in the morning and they will do the diagnostics.

thanks for your help lads

[quote author=daveR link=topic=12432.msg151471#msg151471 date=1233598681]
[quote author=JOHNNY T link=topic=12432.msg151363#msg151363 date=1233582403]
bring it out to mark murphy motors in douglas
[/quote]
Like an ISDC mini meet out there today :subaru:
was your car parked at the end of the yard Johnny?
Hope ya get it sorted codders!she sounded VERY lazy on start up :dontknow:
[/quote] ya that was my yolk alright dave i just parked her there for awhile coz i was up and down the link in the buddys skyline....im seriously tempted to buy one :whistle:

[quote author=Codders link=topic=12432.msg151483#msg151483 date=1233601151]
I think the battery is on its way. When I returned home after a month, it was completely flat.

Yes there was a mini meet today in MMM alright  :subaru:

Spoke to the boss and he needs to look closer to diagnose it. It can be many things like fuel pump, MAF on its way   :dontknow:

[/quote]

I changed my fuel pump for a walbro but there was nothin wrong with the old one if ya want it? Free like :thumbsup:

Can get you a calcium battery in Halfords (4 year warranty, anything happens it they replace it) for about €70 (Trade discount)

As for the MAF, from Subaru they €480ish, I get them here: http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts.asp?cat=68&sub=334 for €280 incl shipping (Genuine Subaru)

Thanks Scoobymaniac, I will get back to you if it's the fuel pump.

Karma for you mate. :subaru:

[quote author=Codders link=topic=12432.msg151633#msg151633 date=1233616141]
Thanks Scoobymaniac, I will get back to you if it's the fuel pump.

Karma for you mate. :subaru:
[/quote]

No bother mate :thumbsup:

Codders .................think i know what it could be .

When the car was stalling etc..... did the check engine light come on , or did all the
lights come on the dash as if she had cut out ????

If it's yes to the above was someone sitting in the passenger seat ????

Niall.

[quote author=Niallyboy link=topic=12432.msg151744#msg151744 date=1233662709]

When the car was stalling etc..... did the check engine light come on , or did all the

Niall.
[/quote]

:ponder2: :ponder2: Are ya ponting to the ECU?

[quote author=Scoobymaniac link=topic=12432.msg151623#msg151623 date=1233614286]
[quote author=Codders link=topic=12432.msg151483#msg151483 date=1233601151]

Yes there was a mini meet today in MMM alright :subaru:

Spoke to the boss and he needs to look closer to diagnose it. It can be many things like fuel pump, MAF on its way :dontknow:

[/quote]

I changed my fuel pump for a walbro but there was nothin wrong with the old one if ya want it? Free like :thumbsup:

Can get you a calcium battery in Halfords (4 year warranty, anything happens it they replace it) for about €70 (Trade discount)

As for the MAF, from Subaru they €480ish, I get them here: http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts.asp?cat=68&sub=334 for €280 incl shipping (Genuine Subaru)
[/quote]Yeah , i got a complete timing belt kit including water pump from them for 280€ including carraige.......good prices and came in 2 days... :smile:

Yeah, They quick about the shipping alright, and cheap for genuine parts :thumbsup:

[quote author=Niallyboy link=topic=12432.msg151744#msg151744 date=1233662709]

Niall.

[/quote]

none of the above, Niall
I don't think it's ECU
It's on APEXI FC with commander.
In this case I wonder if still can diagnose it with the blink codes?

Good question! Not sure to be honest. Maybe one of the traders could tell ya, or just try it and see :thumbsup:

No probs codders

I have seen on a few occasions when fitting the Apexi ECU,
the wires are placed under / alongside ECU....................which has sharp edges .

And basically everytime you floor it , your passenger holding on for dear life , press their feet firmly on the foot well
after a while the plastic on the wire will start to come away ...................and pritty much like you describe the car
start's , stalling , stuttering etc.......... but the dash dose light up like a Christmas three !!

Niall.

plug original ecu in and do diagnoistic check on it.

sounds a little pluggy... i.e. leads or plugs..

but m.a.f. could also have this effect...

Back