gearbox

K

kildare scooby

hi guys bad news my gearbox went last thursday hoping to start it monday,,, any tips or no no's on takin it out the car is a 94 wrx

Depends on how well your mechanical knowledge/skills are, personally I'd get peace of mind by taking it to an expert - Car Torque have been thoroughly recommended by most members here.

It's not the hard get the gearbox of the car !! it's opening of the gearbox I think is the can of worms !! you need special tools to be able to put it back together. i changed the gearbox in my last car and replaced the gearbox altogether ( and now i have one at home in the shed with a bearing in the front diff gone/going :computer:)

Mack

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    530.2 KB · Views: 1
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 1
[quote author=sc00by555 link=topic=60.msg178#msg178 date=1152774314]
Depends on how well your mechanical knowledge/skills are, personally I'd get peace of mind by taking it to an expert - Car Torque have been thoroughly recommended by most members here.
[/quote]

Yeah Ian in Cartorque is a sound fella and you can trust him to do it right.

I've removed the box from my car & it wasn't too difficult but I'm not looking forward to refitting it as its rather heavy ( 80 kg ) & awkward to get in place , especially lying on your back under a car .

I would suggest you get somebody with scoob experience & a car lift to do this for you . It would maybe be an idea to replace/upgrade the clutch while you have the gearbox off unless you know it has been replaced recently .

The only unusual bit is that you have to remove the pivot pin for the clutch release fork before the box will split . If it has never been off it can be very hard to get the bellhousing split from the engine as it gets stuck on the dowels .

Try searching on scoobynet for a more detail description of gearbox removal .

Back