Flip out DVD's

Mark Cahill

Full ISDC Members 2015Member Number 555
I have one of these in my other car. I want to put it into my Legacy now though. Is it just a matter of buying an ISO block to suit a Subaru or is there more to it. :thumbsup:

halfords couldnt fit one to my brother in laws b4 at christmas!!!!
either they are useless fooks or theres something more to it!!!!
:icon_grin: :icon_grin:

Useless fooks I reckon.

Assume you have a single din stereo in at the moment Mark, simple plug and play really. The flip out dvd players are still single din size so should pose no extra problems when fitting.

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=12332.msg149588#msg149588 date=1233185760]
halfords couldnt fit one to my brother in laws b4 at christmas!!!!
either they are useless fooks or theres something more to it!!!!
:icon_grin: :icon_grin:
[/quote]

If that was in Drogheda Mark then they are all useless! It was them that installed it in my other car! Ended up bringing it to the auto-electric place on the industrial estate to get it working right! Just as well the lad forgot to charge me the €60 fitting!!

@Brian, Yeah just a single stereo in now. Will the ISO on that fit straight to the block on the back of the DVD player? :thumbsup:

ISO is the standard for stereos Mark.

Assuming you have an aftermarket single din head unit fitted at the moment she'll have the ISO connections so you shouldn't have a problem, they'll be exactly the same on the new unit.

You will have a seperate earth though thats supposed to crimp onto the handbrake cable, basically as its against the law to have a dvd player working whilst driving. To save yourself the bother you can just connect this to the earth coming from your wiring loom, but if you're ever questioned by the cops I never told you this :icon_grin:

i just fitted one on mine last week, It was awfull handy too do. Just buy a subaru too iso harness, but if you have a MAC INTOSH AMP your goin too have too get a new amp. :new_puppy_dog_eyes:

Should be a handy job to fit but some fip out players have a seperate box with most of the electrics in it. Its nothing major just an extra thing to fit. I had one of the Silvercrest players from Lidl in my last car and they are actually a savage bit of gear.

Bought a dvd player from halfords a few months ago and told them it was for caddy van. The fella on the counter told me there was no need for a new loom and surprise surprise when i got home there was no chance it would match up. Most of ther monkeys rush out of school for there evening jobs and can hardly drive them selfs not to mind know about cars

i went into halfords with this exact question and was told they didnt suit jap imports, as soon as i seen the look on the shelf i knew it would work and the dope was so adimant it wouldnt he was nearly tryin not to sell it to me, i wouldnt let any of them near any car of mine, not even to change a wiper blade. the most difficlut thing you might come across is having to swicth the ignition wire with the constant voltage wire to ensure it keeps the station memories.

[quote author=christypeRA link=topic=12332.msg155523#msg155523 date=1234390457]
for the earth wire to the hambrake, just bolt on to the cage for the radio. worked wen fitted my mates one. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Going to have a go at putting it in now! Just been looking at it now and the handbrake cable is already spliced into the earth cable so that should be sorted! :thumbsup:

Went in no bother!! The loom i used on the GSR was identical to the Legacy so just a matter of plugging it in!! Best part of it is i now have sound in the back speakers!! :thumbsup:

I know a lot of the lads in Halfords and even they'll admit to me they don't have a clue. :dontknow:

As for fitting radios, i've seen them use their feet to force your nice new radio into the dash. :angry1:

Don't let them near your car EVER.

Some of the older lads will know a hell of a lot about makes and models but most of the younger ones get lost trying to zip up their fly :lol:

Back