Power Steering Pump

AlanMcB4

Sunday Drivers
Lads

Anyone know where I could pick up a second hand power steerin pump for a legacy B4?

Can anyone tell me if this part is interchangable or do i have to source one from a legacy?

If anyone has one going or knows where there's one going gimme a shout :thumbsup:

Alan

pm rallymangtb on uklegacy, I've got some parts delivered off him before, his names dave... He might have what you're looking for

Not sure on that one.
Does it look like yours?
The pump itself is attatched to the bottom of the little tank you see in that picture.
The one i got off ebay said ej20 impreza so i presumed it was the right one.
When it arrived i discovered the tank on the new one was not like the one on my car but the pump looked exactly the same.
So i removed the new pump fron its tank and fitted it to the tank off my old pump, cleaning the little filter you come across in the process.
Messy job. Power steering fluid everywhere but easy enough. Works perfect.
Maybe get them to email you more pics :thumbsup:

My head is seriously wrecked over this.

Picked up a power steering pump from McKeevers up north last week. Belt snapped on South Circular 2 days later. I noticed it had been shredded, altenater and front of engine covered in cack! Stuck a new belt on anyway and that got me home. Fitted the new pump hoping that would be the end of my problems. BUT NO!

Steerin is still jumpy and screeching when cold and when not in motion. For example 3 point turns are near impossible now! I've changed the belt from a Spurious one to a Subaru one. and i've even sourced a power steerin pump thinkin that was the problem. Now I'm 200 lids down and still have the same problem. Has anyone got any Ideas.

@ Eric - I seen a post where you were talking about shredin belts, what was the problem there? Was it your power steerin/ altenater belt?

Help please!!

If its the belt screeching then its probably too loose and slipping on the pullys. If it is slipping this would also cause the power steering to jump in and out of use. Also check correct level of fluid in the pump reservoir :thumbsup:

have done all that mate. was thinkin the pump would be leakin if it was on way out but no problems with fluid levels. Also have tightened belt numerous times. Problem repeats after a day or two. im stumped!

When you say you've tightened the belt numerous times and the problem returns after a couple of days, is the belt becoming loose again? When my pump was on its way out it whined, especially after driving hard. And the pitch of the whine was comparable with engine revs.

Ya seems to be coming a little loose after time. After changin the pump there's been no difference at all so I'm happy that the pump was never the problem!

Sounds like the tensioner is either broken or needs just tightening up if the belt keeps coming loose.
There's also a bolt on the alternator which loosens the alternator. If that isnt tight, the alternator will move slightly and the belt will come loose.

I now in my own experience that a new belt will stretch a bit over a few days/weeks and will need to be tightened a few times.

Have you bled the power steering system??

You do this when the fluid is warm, remove the cap from the fluid and turn the steering slowly to left until it stops then back to the right till it stops, do this for 5mins and then kill the engine. Give the fluid time to settle then top it up. If it is air in the system it will cause the lumpy steering your talking about and can take a few bleeds to get it all out.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Cheers lads, will try bleeding the system to see if that cures it!

The Belt that's on it now is spurious. I'm thinking its a little on the long side as the tensioner is at the max now. I.E. There's a small nut under the belt clearing it by couple of mm.

I bought a belt from C&R - it was a lot shorter but it was also narrow - as in it didn't look right in the pulley, didn't fill it like. Anyway that belt shreded and snapped after 2 weeks.

Would anyone have a part no for one of these belts?

Thanks again lads
Alan

I'd have the part number for an Impreza power steering/alternator belt but dunno if its the same as the leggy :ponder:

Impreza/Outback 93-00: 809218270

Impreza/Outback 2002: 809218250

I got a spurious one in Halfords, They didn't list one so i brought in my old one and matched it to one on the shelf, works perfect and its on the car over 6 months now

I'd presume it's the same, works the power steering & the altenater.

Think i'll whip off the belt and have a look at those two, see if one of them's same thickness with little shorter lenght!

Cheers
Al

Hay lads, good news, got sorted with the power steerin. Turns out the belt that was on it was 10mm to long and the belt C&R gave me was to narrow. Got sorted by Southside.

Al

Back