Lookin to put ipod in the car

B4 soon

Petrolheads
I want to buy an ipod and put it in the car but i dont know anythin about them-How big do i need??? Which one can i get a nice tidy cradle for? How much should i pay and will i need a car charger? Which ones play video too? Any help appreciated

you will ned to have a stereo that has an auxillary input. this is usualy in the form of a pair of rca connections at the back and you select aux via the source button on the stereo.
the simplest way is to get a stereo phono to rca lead. this has a headphone connection on one end and a twin rca plug on the other end. ive a receiver in the car for planes ect and i hooked it up to the stereo via one of these leads.

[quote author=northdublin link=topic=12258.msg148620#msg148620 date=1233012152]
you will ned to have a stereo that has an auxillary input. this is usualy in the form of a pair of rca connections at the back and you select aux via the source button on the stereo.
the simplest way is to get a stereo phono to rca lead. this has a headphone connection on one end and a twin rca plug on the other end. ive a receiver in the car for planes ect and i hooked it up to the stereo via one of these leads.
[/quote]

Don't mean to hijack....but where do you get those leads northdublin? I have an Alpine head unit and just got an ipod and want to connect up but was quoted a stupid price for connecting lead!

Are they universal or would you have to get a brand specific one??

any good electronics shop like peats or maplins, however this lead only transfers audio from the ipod to the stereo and would not charge it, some sort of a cradle that plugs into the cig lighter would be needed for that. have a few here so if yer stuck let me know

Bought a ipod classic 120gb new from england for €195 Got the classic cause the screen is a decent size and I could put family guy episodes on it. Have about 60 episodes on it and the movie.
Then got an Rca to headphone lead in PC world, Halfords also have them. About €20. Got a charger too in PC World for €20. I have the the ipod sitting in the small dock thing you get with the ipod and thats sitting in the cup holder in the centre consol. Doesnt move much so far :thumbsup: Might get a vent craddle next time im in halfords

[quote author=kanye from the west link=topic=12258.msg148635#msg148635 date=1233013073]
Bought a ipod classic 120gb new from england for €195 Got the classic cause the screen is a decent size and I could put family guy episodes on it. Have about 60 episodes on it and the movie.
Then got an Rca to headphone lead in PC world, Halfords also have them. About €20. Got a charger too in PC World for €20. I have the the ipod sitting in the small dock thing you get with the ipod and thats sitting in the cup holder in the centre consol. Doesnt move much so far :thumbsup: Might get a vent craddle next time im in halfords
[/quote]
exactly what im talkin about.......wonder can ye get a mini cradle that will hold and charge the ipod. i have desktop one her that i was goin to butcher to see if i could use it for that.

You can get one that will hold, charger and is a FM transmitter. You looking for a cradle or a dock type thing ?

The rca lead job sounds good to me. Would route it through the glove box to a cradle on the dash so minimum amount of wires showing preferably

Depends how much music you want to put on it. If your not someone who wants to put 50 albums on it and will be only putting 10 and other songs 8gb is plenty. Maybe even less. Im new to ipods.

instead of wires and aux inputs just get an "i trip". its bout €50 in any good music store... plugs into bottom of i pod and saves wires... unfortunately it doesnt charge it.... but dats my 2cent worth

Have gone the RCA route-but even though my stereo has Rca inputs and ive connected the ipod to it i cant seem to get an aux setting on the stereo. Its a double din pioneer-silver with blue display :dontknow:

[quote author=B4 soon link=topic=12258.msg149393#msg149393 date=1233175219]
Have gone the RCA route-but even though my stereo has Rca inputs and ive connected the ipod to it i cant seem to get an aux setting on the stereo. Its a double din pioneer-silver with blue display :dontknow:
[/quote]

I have a pioneer too. I had to turn on the AUX on the head unit. Find out what model your head unit is and i'll find out how to turn it on :thumbsup:

Try this
Turn the unit off,
hold down the function or source button for a few seconds, a menu will appear, tell it Aux = On, then after that turn your unit back on, the headunit will now have aux mode when you select it from the source button

Back