splitter removal

northdublin

Petrolheads
after leaving another members house today i had a brief off road excursion resulting in my front splitter being damaged. im not too worried about replacing this just yet but it seems to be fixed by screws at the wheel arch and bonded to the front bumper using that heavy duty black silicone stuff. how easy is it to remove this without ruining the front bumper.
ive removed this stuff before using and abrasive polish like t-cut which left the paint in place, but there is much more of it this time so am i wasting my time or should i just start lookin for a new bumper.
this poxy situation was the result of a few factors........not paying attention to the road ahead :zzzz: ............lift off oversteer :ponder2: .........and over correcting on my part :icon_hang: luckily all that was damaged was my wallet for the tow truck and the splitter in question. ill be putting my name down for the car control so :hammerhead:

wasnt paying atention and came acros a corner at relatively low speed and just turned to sharply, over corrected and found lukily a soft ditch on the other side. was knackered and just wasnt my usual observant self. rang herself and she called the local tow-wagon, he gingerly lifted the car out of the mud and to be honest was worth the money as he could of just arrived and dragged it out causing more damage. if i can remove the front splitter which i think is a factory fit the car will just look standard and ied be happy with that. it is deffo a stick on job and not part of the original bumper so im hoping i can get it off without ruining the bumper.

got the splitter off but it left behind a double sidedsticky foam line that ill have to remove......would bug and tar remover do the job or is there any other suggestions

cant get a pic....too dark at the mo and im goin to try remove it on my lunch 2morrow. its like the foam glue stuff they use for holding on badges.

then it could even be double sided tape, just thick stuff. you might be able to cut most of it away with a blade maybe??

as kanye said, petrol, it will break down the adhesive anyway for you.

I wouldnt advise his idea of petrol and heat tho, think he has a pyro living inside him!!!!!

thanks kanye.....ill give it a go. had a quick search for a replacement splitter but no joy. was thinking of getting a new front bumper but there serious money on japanparts.

Back