ecu

J

johnroake

when removing the ecu from its location in the passenger side, do i need to disconnect the battery first or anything like that, or can i just take the ecu out

I'd disconnect the battery anyway. Better safe than sorry. Why are you taking the ECU out anyway? Sorry for being nosey..... :tongue:

[quote author=hiwd link=topic=12141.msg146827#msg146827 date=1232542394]
I'd disconnect the battery anyway. Better safe than sorry. Why are you taking the ECU out anyway? Sorry for being nosey..... :tongue:
[/quote]

your not being nosey, hope this actually doest bugger up the car, i was going to just swap my wrx ecu for a sti ecu, the sti is a 98 jap and mine is a 96 jap wrx. would this do any damage or give me any thing else in performance

Think they wrx ecu is a three pin and sti is a four pin(stand to be corrected) :dontknow: Anyhow, all the factory ecu settings would be different for an sti ecu so may not run right. If upgrading a wrx ecu go for a Z4 or 6K, but even then power/boost gains wouldn't be much i'd say. :thumbsup:

Z4 and 6K are two types of ec's from early classic's. Z4 from wrx and 6K from V2 sti. If you look at front of ecu you'll see a number/letter in big writing e.g Z4. 6K has slightly higher boost and is a direct fit for early classic wrx's. :thumbsup:

........Dont DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's a reason we pay upto €1,000 to have a car re-mapped :icon_grin:

Your basically trying to tell your engine that it now has to change power from about 210bhp
upto 265bhp aprox ......................while also increasing the torque , simply by just swapping the ECU.

TBH i don't think it will fit , but if it dose ..............DONT !!!!! The New ECU , will not be able to advance the timing ,
ignition duty etc..........enough .

So it will probably go Bang ................and if not straight away, it will soon enough .

Even if some safety settings kick in and don't allow the engine to advance, I reckon she will be suffering badly
from pre-detenation..................end result , engine will go bang.

Im not an expert or anything close but i really think you should look into this alot more before trying it :thumbsup:

Niall.

as above, dont do this unless you plan on buying a new engine!
Probablly will fit, sti's of that age had 3pin, late 98 on had 4 pin ecu's but if its power your after, get a re map.

[quote author=johnroake link=topic=12141.msg146847#msg146847 date=1232548269]
i was going to just swap my wrx ecu for a sti ecu,
[/quote]

Im baffled as to how you think that could have possibly worked. :ponder2:

[quote author=AndyC link=topic=12141.msg146980#msg146980 date=1232567360]
[quote author=johnroake link=topic=12141.msg146847#msg146847 date=1232548269]
i was going to just swap my wrx ecu for a sti ecu,
[/quote]

Im baffled as to how you think that could have possibly worked. :ponder2:
[/quote]
i wasnt looking for a big remap and stuff just thought that if i switched that i would get a higher boost and stuff, didnt think about all the other stuff it would affect

Best off with a remap. STi Tuning can help you out there. Mapping dates at beginning of every month.

Back