Fuel Gauge

Mark Cahill

Full ISDC Members 2015Member Number 555
Filled the car up last night but the gauge stayed at the empty and the warning light was on. Still like that today.

Anyone know what could be up with it? :thumbsup:

try unplugging the guage at the tank and plug back in !!!!!
if not you need to remove the sender unit and refit(in the boot AFAIK)..
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

you need to take up the fuel pump which is in the boot behind seats. The sender and float are attached to it. There might be a small bit of dirt caught in it. Not good lettin the car run so low on juice!

[quote author=briancollins link=topic=12036.msg145306#msg145306 date=1232208873]
you need to take up the fuel pump which is in the boot behind seats. The sender and float are attached to it. There might be a small bit of dirt caught in it. Not good lettin the car run so low on juice!
[/quote]

I didn't let it run low. It was above the quarter mark when i went to fill up. But when i turned the car back on the gauge stayed at the empty with the warning light on. :thumbsup:

The fuel gauge is operated by a float in the tank, there's a spring loaded pin that runs up and down a rail on a circuit board,(like a volume knob) its most likely rust or dirt on the rail or a failure of the board.

If not i'd try the gauge itself, then test the wiring.

I have a spare one there of a classic impreza (dunno if its the same) but your more than welcome to try it

Hope this helps.

Hey Mark, I looked at mine last night and the fuel gauge stays up when you turn off the ignition and take out the key... The temp gauge drops down but the fuel gauge stays up like the impreza... If you have half a tank and pull up to a petrol station and fill up, the gauge will stay half way until you turn on the ignition and it goes up to full then but it never drops... This might be a bit of useless information but maybe it points to a loose connection at the back of the gauge?? :dontknow:

Cheers for that Rob! I'll take a look behind the dash later on. If there's a loose connection, would the warning light not stay off?

Back