ScoobeyDoo

Sunday Drivers
Hi lads,
did a search but no luck
2003 irish WRX
My handbrake light is showing on the dash
Its intermittent and only there bout half the time
Sometimes goes away if you restart the car
When the light is not on and you're stopped, if you lift up the handbrake and release,light comes on and goes away as should
Any ideas?

yeah, fitted new front pads myself last week :ponder:
Just checked the reservoir and its full to the max mark?
Any other ideas?

Not 100% sure but think i remember reading somewhere that it could mean your alternator is acting up, but like i said not sure mate :dontknow:

red light..same light as comes on when handbrake is actually on!

ruaidhri555...I think what you read was that when handbrake light and engine light come on togeather then its alternator

[quote author=keith dublin link=topic=11957.msg144330#msg144330 date=1231959819]
One of the lads had this prob and it turned out to be the alternator
[/quote]

:icon_omg: :icon_omg:
never heard of that problem lads!!!
philip,
is the switch loose in at the handbrake lever???

Had similiar problem couple of years back now i think about it, but it eneded up that the aternator belt was slightly loose. As far as i remember only handbrake light would come on and go after 10-15 mins. Don't think CEL came on

[quote author=ruaidhri555 link=topic=11957.msg144344#msg144344 date=1231961011]
Had similiar problem couple of years back now i think about it, but it eneded up that the aternator belt was slightly loose. As far as i remember only handbrake light would come on and go after 10-15 mins. Don't think CEL came on
[/quote]
sorry mate!!!
totally disagreed with ya at the start but you live and learn!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good possability of it being alternator so lads...
Would the battery not be shagged after a few mins if she was driving and not getting a proper charge??
Now that I think of it, starter motor was very slow at turning the engine over the other morning...but I just presumed it was
coz it was soo cold the night before it had flattened the battery a bit? :ponder2:

Its not gonna cause any damage anyway...think il just see how she pans out...might fix itself :icon_lol:

Same as any other problem, try and fix it as soon as possible. Battery would probably loosing charge slowly but as alternator is still working(probably not at 100% though) there wil be some charge heading back to battery. But as i said earlier not completely sure this is problem. Once one of the more technically expertised lads come online they'll point you in right direction. Hope you get it sorted mate :thumbsup:

If you can get your hands on a multi meter, start your car(check the battery with the meter

before hand) and re-check, should be able to tell you which is on the way out, battery or

alternator. Good luck.

Back