17" Rims.

C

christy.

Lads, got a call from the wife this morning to say that she had a flat tyre in the B4 on the way to school with the kids. I'm way down the country working so I can't get to her. I'm so sick of driving the car with 17's as I'm constantly replacing tyres/ straightening rims. does anybody know if 15's will clear the calipers up front or will I have to go with 16's. and does anyone have a set of 15's for sale here??? Any help greatly appreciated. It's taking all the good out of scooby ownership at this stage. :hammerhead: By the way, the car has standard B4 calipers. Thanks in advance guys.

15"s on a B4?? I cant imagine you'd fit em on, but I could be wrong! would look awful though, as would 16"s IMO. Surely you would have as much trouble with them as you would any other size of tyre?

Side wall on my tyres is really thin -205 55 17. The smaller the rim, the larger the side wall you can get away with....and when you live in pot hole land or galway as some people like to call it, believe me, you don't be long getting sick of 17" wheels.!!!!

Theres your problem right there you should be using 215/45/17...car will be rubbish on 15''..in fact you would probably hit the front splitter of everything on the road..unless you put like 215/60/15's on and then it would handle like a bag o sh!te

the 45 will only make the wall smaller!!!
so maybe try a set of 16's with 205/55/16s.....
the alloys must be nearly fooked at this stage!!!!
you shouldnt,but you could try tubes in the tyres...
that way potholes or bent rims shouldnt let the pressure out!!!
:ponder2: :ponder2:

Ya, I suppose 16's are the way to go allright. If anyone here has a set for sale please let me know....

Are your alloys the standard type for a B4? Standard size is 215/45/17 like dagnut said so if you've the wrong tyre on that would be causing some of your problems.. If you still want a comfier ride, and dont care about style or handling, then go 16, i'm sure someone around galway would let you try one on to ensure it fits over the caliper..

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=11891.msg143181#msg143181 date=1231753623]
the 45 will only make the wall smaller!!!
so maybe try a set of 16's with 205/55/16s.....
the alloys must be nearly fooked at this stage!!!!
you shouldnt,but you could try tubes in the tyres...
that way potholes or bent rims shouldnt let the pressure out!!!
:ponder2: :ponder2:
[/quote]

its the width thats the problem should be 215 NOT 205..every other b4 owner on here will be runing 45 without a problem

i see what your saying mate but a wider surface area wont increase comfort or make it any less suseptable to bursting tyres whereas you know increasing the wall height will reduce the chances of this!!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[quote author=markobucko link=topic=11891.msg143197#msg143197 date=1231755470]
i see what your saying mate but a wider surface area wont increase comfort or make it any less suseptable to bursting tyres whereas you know increasing the wall height will reduce the chances of this!!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Definitely make it less susceptible to bursting 205 would be stretched across the wheels are to wide for 205..I'm no tyre expert but

The wrong size tyre is deffo the problem, those wheels need 215/45/17. The tyres you have are not wide enough for the rim. Ive had one slow puncture on mine in over a year and that was caused by a screw on the road!

No lads, it has nothing to do with width, I'm looking for a higher sidewall to reduce the risk of bursting the tyre when the car hits a pot hole..... i know what you'rs saying about width, but to keep the same rolling radius, I'll be able to run higher sidewall tyres with smaller rims.....

WHAT TYPE OF WHEELS U HAVE .I HAVE A SET ON MINE WHICH ARE 16S AND ARE UNUSUAL SUBARU BRONZE IF U WANA SWAP .AVA

Hi Ava, I've got 17" gold OZ super T's. I got a set of 16" WRX alloys last night and stuck them on and they look grand. I'm gettin the wheels refurbed next week, so if you're lookin for a set of 17" alloys let me know.Christy. Oh, and by the way, some gimp in a Fiat Panda ploughed into the back of it this morning, It's gonna be a long week............. :angry1: :angry1:

should be 215 width tyres, i have 225.18.45 on my octavia and havent burst a tyre yet, but wen i have ordinary 16s on it, it handles like a dream. bigger the tyre wall, more comfort.

Back