Anti-virus & Firewall Advice Needed

T

Turbo

My Dad has a lap-top connected to broadband wirelessly . Currently it's protected by the standard windows firewall & the free version of Avast anti-virus . He is completely clueless about PC's & the internet & I'm afraid of him clicking on the wrong thing or opening a file or attachment containing a virus .

Is what he has installed sufficient protection or is there something better ? If there's a problem it's not likely I'll be around to sort it out it will need to be something that's self learning , self updating and can run away in the background . I'm thinking about Norton as it covers everything he needs but will it run hassle free ?

I use Norton and havehad no problems since installing it 3yrs ago. And stop looking at stuff containing virus's :p :p

i use norton anti virus and advise my customers to use it also. never had any problems

ive used AVG, Norton and E-trust.

never had any problems, i use AVG now and i think its the best.

George

[quote author=kanye from the west link=topic=1317.msg11132#msg11132 date=1169568653]
Ya I use AVG too but I think you'll have to pay for it after the middle of Febuary :computer:
[/quote]
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Just checked their site and it is only for users of version 7.1 if you upgrade to free version 7.5 its still FREE :thumbsup:

the thing to watch out for with the self learning is that somethimes it can block a required port or file from accessing the net, I have see mcafee do this a few times, not down to the application itself more like an itch triger finger clearing pop ups...NAV is quite good but its let a few sneaky ones slip through, the best one out at the moment is the AVG free, updates daily no hassles. As far as firewalls the ms built in firewall on Xp is pretty good, that along with spybot seek and destroy and the machine is good to go, thats what i have running on my yolk at the moment, no problems.
If you think that there may be some virius spyware malware on the machine try running a program called cports, it shows what application is using what port, and a little app called LANspy this checks the movement on your LAN, very handy for the old wireless networks

check out

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm?s_cid=sah

and run a full service scan.
I think this will only work on fully registered copys of XP, not 100% on that though.

Thanks for the help & advice guys .

I clicked on a dodgy link last week & managed to install a worm virus called a banwarum-m . It was a clever one that disabled the windows firewall & was able to connect to the net & let more stuff in . My avast was able to detect all of the stuff but was only able to get rid of some of it . Some of the viruses were attached to other programs & they couldn't be quarantined as the programs were running .

I tried running Avast , spybot & adaware in safe mode but the worm was still there . It would only appear only when you were online . The avast was able to kill it but after killing it the 2nd time the pc would automatically reboot ! Did some research , downloaded AVG anti-spyware & run the AVG in safe mode . That seems to have worked as I've had no problems since . Just shows that you shouldn't rely on 1 product !

Back