What do I need to know when buying??

S

smidsy

Hey All,

Im looking for a Subaru Impreza and Id like to know some info.

From what I know its a WRX or STI version I should be looking for.

All that matters to me is that its a 2 Litre Turbo 4 wheel drive.

The year will probably be 2000+ Im hoping to get one for 12000 euro to 15,000 euro and Ill be trading in my Alfa 147.

Also, the MPG on the Alfa is averaging 30+, which is high for a 1.6, whats the MPG on an Impreza?

I travel Dublin to Conmel and back once a week.

I get 30Mpg in the Alfa even though its mainly motorway.

I have been told that the Impreza will do 28Mpg on Motorway, considering its the same value car(ie 2 year older Impreza) my only extra cost is that extra 2Mpg which doesnt bother me. But if it would only get say 20Mpg, then my costs increase a good bit.

I spend 160 euro a month on petrol, if worst case scenario then im spending 240 a month. Is it worth it??

I would imagine that on the back roads of Tipperary that the Impreza would really come alive!

Im not to bothered if it will do 0-60 in 5 or 6 seconds if ya know what I mean.

A 2 litre turbo is more than enough for me, whether its top spec or not.

Once its a 2 litre Turbo I will be more interested in the trim, as any impreza iv looked at is very plain inside.

Also on carzone.ie there are many WRX and STI's all described a 2 litre, can I always assume that they are turbo 4WD?

Im looking at a 2000 WRX, 60,000 miles from a dealer, what should I be asking mechanically??

hi all wrx or sti are 4wd only the 2.0 sport isnt a turbo i dont think u would get anywhere near 28 mpg i dont anyway i spend bout 150 a week and a full tank only gets me 250 kms i've a straight through exhaust and induction kit though dunoo if u would be bothered with that

[quote author=kildare scooby link=topic=1307.msg10977#msg10977 date=1169413767]
hi all wrx or sti are 4wd only the 2.0 sport isnt a turbo i dont think u would get anywhere near 28 mpg i dont anyway i spend bout 150 a week and a full tank only gets me 250 kms i've a straight through exhaust and induction kit though dunoo if u would be bothered with that
[/quote]

wow u only get 250 kms, is it heavly modded? i will get about 400-500 on a straight run and around 300 if im messsing around dublin.

At 60k miles u might wana watch the clutch, if its a irish car (not imported) it wont b a sti (i think) theres a good few lads on here which can steer u in the right direction. Also if its a import it should b mapped if ur paying that price.

no just blitz nurspec r and decat downpipe and blitz induction kit

Hi Smidsy - welcome aboard :thumbsup:

To answer some of your questions... You can get a UK/Irish 'Turbo AWD' or a Jap Import 'WRX' - both variants are available in 'STi' versions - these have been given a few more performance and cosmetic tweaks. You have to drive one before you realise why people buy them :D and why we're not too concerned over MPG figures :lol: I average 24-28mpg - never been less than about 22mpg. If you're negotiating with a dealer, just get as much of a warranty as you can. As with any car you buy, get a professional to check it over before parting with your Alfa and cash. You may be best to stick with a UK/Irish spec car as the Japanese Imports were built to run on a higher octane fuel than the crap sold here - therefore the Jap WRXs ought to be re-mapped to accommodate this.

Use the search on the site to find out just about anything - most things have been discussed (at length) :D

Cheers
PAulo

Hey Smidsy,
Welcome aboard.

You will not get 28mpg out of your impreza.
23 - 24 mpg is a bit more like it, but it will totally depend on your
driving style, any type of spirited run and that will drop to about
20mpg .
I average 18-20mpg but that's more to do with the mods i've done.
As for petroll i fill twice a week 55ltr tank so average €110 .......... :shock: :shock:
If you can get an STI, get it. Any impreza driver will tell you, you'll always want more power;
the acceleration , handling etc ............is very addicative :D :D

The Impreza is never going to win any prize's for interior trim, it's a drivers car, period.
Get an Irish/UK Subaru with no mods and you will have hassle free driving.
What you should look out for:

A Full service history is important and a must.
Impreza's need to be serviced regulary, every 7,000 miles say Subaru but most will do an
oil change every 4k - 5k

@45k timing belt and tensioners would need to be done.
@70k water pump normally needs to be replaced

Now i hope im not scarring you away from one but you will certanily have a higher
running cost, that said you will have permanent grin on your face every time you turn the ignition,
and can be quiet content in the fact, there will be very little keep up with ya :thumbsup:

Niall.

Hey all,

I had a look at the car, im really disappointed I couldnt get a test ride but there was some crash on the M50 and traffic was extremely bad, plus it was badly blocked in. Wasnt worth the hassle of getting it out for sitting in traffic.

Iv been offered a test ride this saturday, apparently a much better day for it.

Anyway the car itself looks fantastic from the outside, one of the best iv seen. The warehouse wass very well lit so I got a good look.

The engine sounds great & meaty!

No damage outside, but inside shows scuffs etc. Nothing major for the age.

It has a turbo timer(i think its called), it runs the car after its shut off for a few seconds to clear the oil on the turbo - or something like that.

Its an Irish/UK car, or i think it is as its got MPH as the speed, with KPH in smaller numbers. - the dealer told me it was also, using this logic, when I asked about the mapping.

The trim looks pretty good in comparison to what iv seen(except fot the scuffs etc).

Bad points - its got an mp3 player, which looks like cheap crap.

MAJOR BAD POINT - Its got sport seats with 4/5 point belts.One has a tear in the drivers side. Thats ok, except they are as hard as rock. I cant imagine doing a 3 hour drive to clonmel in them, they are way too hardcore. My gf was moaning also about them even though we were stationary. I said this to the dealer that they were just terrible. He completly agreed that they were way too uncomfy. They have a tissue paper of comfort. Anyway, he is going to try and get original seats from a source of his.

He thinks im mad selling my 147 6 months after I got it. But agrees its a good example. He is to get back to me with figures.

IMO I wont buy it with those seats unless I can replace them easily for the money saving. But if the price is right in the cash I need to pay with my car then ill take it! Of course assuming that I really enjoy the test ride.

I cant c replacing the seats is going to cause to much hassell, Most Scoobys have a Turbo Timer its just a device that allows ur engine to clear the oil from ur turbo and not cook it to the inside if u just shut ur engine off daed.

Also if u could get a picture of it and post it here u might get lucky and have a old owner or someone whos knows something about the car.

skymotorsImpMet834.jpg

Thats it. I think it looks better in reality

Looks like a clean car from the outside..

What type of history has it got and do you know what the reg is?
Also what dealer is selling it?

Alan.

It looks like the motor right on the green hills road in dublin I think...
@kildare scooby... I get round 380+ k to a full tank with varied driving style... You must have a 10tonne foot permanently welded to the floor!! :lol:

@smidsy... It should more than likely have an owners manual if it is an Irish car. People don't tend to lose something like that. Jap ones won't because they are useless (in Japanese) and they get stolen from the cars at the docks. The dealer shouldn't "think" its an Irish or UK car. They know an awful lot more than they let you know... They'll tell you they "think" its an STI if thats what you want to hear!!

RE: Seats, I'm sure if you really like and want the car and nothing else is holding you back besides the seats, you can get them re-padded with softer foam...

hi Smidsy welcome along,

I think ive looked at that car before for Johnnyb and if its the same car steer well clear of it! he was thinking of buying a car that looked just like that as far as i remember the reg of it was 00wx or 00wd. the bucket seats were blue and looked awful with a major rip on the drivers side, i opened the bonnet and the engine was after been roasted there was rusty coolant all over the engine bay and all underneath the bonnet. this might not be the same car but it had morette headlights and full crystal pack, the same alloys and looked immaculate from outside.
by any chance is the garage behind the red cow??

George

smidsy I am nearly 100% that is a car I looked at last year, slash mark on the drivers seat on the door side crystal front fogs cracked on the left hand side and crystal indicators, 00 wx / wd reg low mileage, if it is walk away the engine looked like it was fried. GT Performance came out with me to have a look, I never even got in the thing it was that bad, handed the keys back to the salesman wishing him all the best in selling it and he smiled at me .I will pm you the location of the garage just to be sure.

I hope its not the same car, because it does look sweet. Get someone to go with you when checking it out again, you could be buying trouble.

your right lads its in sky motor centre.its a total pice of crap dont touch it smidsy.theres plenty of good ones out there

[quote author=johnny5 link=topic=1307.msg11077#msg11077 date=1169505676]
your right lads its in sky motor centre.its a total pice of crap dont touch it smidsy.theres plenty of good ones out there
[/quote]

i was pretty sure but just in case didnt want to mention the garage. they must have that car about a year or even longer, no doubt theyll eventually get some poor lad into it that just wants his 1st scooby. :angry: :shoot:

George

DAMN! But thank god also, could have blown my money on a piece of crap.

Yep, its the same car!

Its marked as 13,950, but on sale on the net for 12,450, which made it very tempting for me.

As mentioned before, its completly spotless on the outside, inside drivers seat has a rip.

I thought the engine bay was a bit dirty, but it looked like grime to me, but im no expert and I take the advice of the several people.

Just curious, but are all Imprezas not trashed?

Back