gearbox upgrade??

BlackScooby

Petrolheads
hey all i am thinkin about upgrading my gearbox just wonder does da 6speed boxes fit straight onto a classic?? or which box would ye guys recommend as a good upgrade for my car?? its a 94 wrx :thumbsup:

regards
dave

Stolen from scoobynet.

6 speed box if uk then a 3.54 rear diff if jdm 3.9 rear diff,clutch fork,6 speed prop,engine stabilizer mount that bolts to the box,gearlinkage,thread bottom starter bolt hole in the gearbox and slightly grind starter if using standard 5 speed one so it sits correctly.If its a late box then front shafts may be needed

Unless you're spending thousands on big spec engine I don't think its gonna be very cost effective.

Why do you want a new gear box ? are you not happy with the gear ratios
or are you going for a big torque figure .

If it's a stronger box cause you want loads more torque , you could simply
upgrade the internals with a PPG Gear set .................contact some of the traders here they can
get you prices and talk you through the options..........................NOT CHEAP !!!

But a great upgrade .

Niall.

thanks for replies lads.. the reason i was thinkin this is cause at 100kph the car is reving at approx 2900rpm in fifth.. my mates 6 speed bug eye is a good bit lower when at 100kph, its something i could live with but if it wasn't a big job to upgrade 6speed i would do it,

Dave

[quote author=BlackScooby link=topic=11776.msg141620#msg141620 date=1231342129]
thanks for replies lads.. the reason i was thinkin this is cause at 100kph the car is reving at approx 2900rpm in fifth.. my mates 6 speed bug eye is a good bit lower when at 100kph, its something i could live with but if it wasn't a big job to upgrade 6speed i would do it,

Dave

[/quote]

Count yourself lucky Dave, my type r revs at 4000rpm(ish) at that speed in fifth

As keith said you can stick in a longer fifth for motorway cruising :thumbsup:

[quote author=keith dublin link=topic=11776.msg141629#msg141629 date=1231344029]
You can stick in a longer 5th
[/quote]

Or just thank your lucky stars you're not driving a type r - think she'd be revving at 3.5k at that speed.

If its just the noise thats annoying you change exhaust for something quieter or sound proof the car with dynomat.

jesus, why da type r rev that high... just got the hayward and scott of scoobyke but that isn't that loud its perfect, where da best place to get dyno matt?? or has anyone used it? :thumbsup:

H&S box will make it a good bit louder alright. Lovely sound though, I wouldn't want to drown it out.

Also if your car has a decat centre section it will be much noisier than your mates if he still has cat in.

You can buy dynomat from any car audio shop. But its quite cheap from the UK, was on a website the other day and enough dynomat to deaden your 4 doors and boot was about £150 I think.

your dead right h&s sounds class, i just have a rear section on it,will look into dynomatt for it,think i will leave box as is for now..is an sti or type r gearbox stronger than a wrx one?? :thumbsup:

Both boxes are pretty strong,can handle upto bout 380/400 bhp,but its the ratios that are needed on a wrx,also some of the JDM WRXs have a good 5th gear though,lost more torque than say the uk spec ones....

If i was ya rather spend your money on the likes of a new turbo,or de-cat...some thing that will give you more power.... :icon_grin: :icon_grin:

what gear box are you running ,it must be a type r gearbox,

jptypera had a uk spec 5th gear fitted to his motor by stituning and it it alot better than the normal 5th,i think at 120kph he would be at 3000rpm now towards 4000rpm at 120kph in the orginal box

i know myself how annoying it is to drive with a loud exhaust and a type r box
im hoping to change back to a 2 and 1/2 inch exhaust from a 3" and change to a uk spec 5th gear as it wrecks my head driving on the motorway

[quote author=DUFFMAN link=topic=11776.msg141803#msg141803 date=1231363512]
what gear box are you running ,it must be a type r gearbox,

jptypera had a uk spec 5th gear fitted to his motor by stituning and it it alot better than the normal 5th,i think at 120kph he would be at 3000rpm now towards 4000rpm at 120kph in the orginal box

i know myself how annoying it is to drive with a loud exhaust and a type r box
im hoping to change back to a 2 and 1/2 inch exhaust from a 3" and change to a uk spec 5th gear as it wrecks my head driving on the motorway
[/quote]

Ive a HKS SILENT HI POWER cat back exhaust on my Type R and its far quieter than most Subaru's i see around.
Could be worth you looking into just the back box for your car.
Has a nice mellow rumble under normal driving and a nice roar when on boost.

as duffman said i got the uk fifth fitted and u can really notice the difference , well worth getting done on a type r box :thumbsup:

I drove JP's car, and the 5th gear is a great upgrade!
If you are getting 100kph @ 2900, then I think that is the same as the impreza 6 speed!
The forester sti 6th gear does 2,300 at 100kph :icon_grin:
Dan

i will get exact figures on wat my car is reving at and post them up.. i dont mind my exhaust its like road noise comin through,

Back